Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Anyone else extremely dissapointed with Win brass lately?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 10:19 PM

Re: Anyone else extremely dissapointed with Win brass lately?

I've always trimmed then sized new Win brass. Used to buy it by the thousands cheaply on sale at Midway in the 80's and into the 90's. Always had great luck with accuracy, primer pockets staying tight, etc. In fact, I still have the bulk of that Win brass (mostly 223 Rem) today.

In the past year or two I've bought several new batches of Win .223 from different vendors. I was very disappointed in the lack of consistancy in the brass. The primer pockets were especially sloppy with tightness ranging from so loose I swore the primers would fall out to so tight it was like GI brass with the pocket crimp in place.

Maybe I got spoiled by Lapua brass in the last couple years but I don't think so. I've loaded so many thousands of .223 of various brands and never used to have a problem with Win until recently.

Not going to buy any more Win brass and Rem has not been on my favorite list for a long time. Just wish Lapua was cheaper.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

I can't say I've been dissapointed but haven't bought any in a couple years. I have great loads with 223, 25-06, and 7mm RM all using win brass. I weight sort them, chamfer flash hole, trim, chamfer inside/out and call it good. I prefer win over rem usually, but have great loads worked up with rem brass in same above calibers as well.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig View Post
Last batch of 25-06 had a 22 percent failure rate, before I started to weigh them. Creased necks, split necks, of center flash holes, dents. If any of us ran a business with a 22 percent failure rate we would be out of business. Believe me I am not extremely finicky. Three emails not one returned. This company ranks right up there with Bank of America for quality of Managment. I will never buy another Winchester product again. Purchased Remington brass and tossed one out of 100. This used to be the opposit with Winchester, I am done with them.
Same here with the 257 Roberts +P and the 264 Mag.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Silver Member

If those of you who buy Win bulk brass, just save the culls and when you get 50 or more, send them back to Winchester and they will replace them. I had no problem getting mine replaced. I had a brand new case to separated in my 7 mag, call them and sent the split case along with the lot number and they sent me a free 50 count bag of brass!
Old 05-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Silver Member

I just threw out three out of fifty 308 new winchester brass . Of the rest, the primer pockets ranged from almost fall out loose to might have crushed the primer tight. terrible brass! I have 300 free 150gr honady flat base I am loading for plinking so I'm not being picky about the oval flash holes or dented cases , but not fitting in the shell holder!? All loaded and ready to go , going to my hunt club next weekend and plan to walk around with some shooting sticks and shoot all 180 + rounds. No long shots to be had though , 250yds about it.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Hmmm..?? Im not having any problem with 243 Win brass..???
Old 05-28-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendero72 View Post
If those of you who buy Win bulk brass, just save the culls and when you get 50 or more, send them back to Winchester and they will replace them. I had no problem getting mine replaced. I had a brand new case to separated in my 7 mag, call them and sent the split case along with the lot number and they sent me a free 50 count bag of brass!
iN THAT

In that case, I'm going to check a bag of 22-250 brass, Thanks.

G.