Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Is any body as frustrated as I am? No Powder to buy!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Is any body as frustrated as I am? No Powder to buy!

tag

5 Acres on the east side of the Coburg hills in Oregon.

I have Two Dogs, but my 10mm is for protection
Old 07-08-2013, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new shooter View Post
The real problem is not a sortage there is all the powder we nead. But the law say that a truck can only hall 100 pounds at a time. That is what Ramshot powder told me. DOT law.
I beg to differ with you on that premise. You see, I'm a safety and comnpliance officer foir a large trucking company and one of my area's of expertise is DOT regulations as they pertain to over the road trucks. I deal with that everyday.

BTW, it's not DOT law. It's DOT regulations. The DOT is not a governing body, they just apply and enforce the regulations as set forth by the Federal Government.

Explosives (powder) in this case in quantities of less than 5,000 pounds, while ORMD classified, cannot be mixed on any truck, however, in quantities over 5,000 pounds, so long as it's properly placarded and the driver has his Haz-Mat endorsement on his CDL, there is no issue with transportation. Thats right out of the DOT Part 95 handbook for intrastate and interstate transportation.

Thats why most powder deliveries are handled through UPS, even to retailers.

Whoever at Ramshot told you that is FOS plain and simple.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:12 AM
Silver Member

+1 about rams hot FOS. I drive a truck as well. I have my HAZMAT endorsement and even if I don't haul explosives it be brought to our attention every quarterly safety meeting. Next time a retailer give you the excuse find a very polite way of telling them they are full of it and they should sell the BS they be better off.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:07 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
where are you?? Scheels bis. has h1000 and retumbo kegs on the shelf
Wonder if they can ship with Hazmat Fee? I live in MO.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Silver Member

Found this message this morning while looking for powder for my .45ACP.

"Out of Stock. Due to a disruption in production, we have no estimated arrival date. Backorders are not accepted."

Hodgdon Universal Clays Powder | Gamaliel Shooting Supply

I've also heard about a "production disruption" at a local shop. Does anyone have anymore on this one? Or is this more Bull-winkle?

Pete
Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

I like it 'Production Disruption'. In as much as all Hogdon powders are made in Australia and shipped in bulk to Hogdon in Shawnee Mission, Kansas for repackaging in retail containers, the 'disruption' could be anywhere.

Could be on the container ship...
Could be in Australia.....
Could be at Hogdon.....
Could be nowhere but just another excuse for not having it (I suspect thats it)......

It's supply chain economics and the supply chain, in this case is extensive.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillettehunter View Post
If you really need powder then check 2-3 times a week with a couple of the large mail order places. Third gen shooters supply has had a number of good sized powder shipments in the last several months. Some have been announced here so you can hear about it. Midway is the same way. No backorders, but they will notify when it comes in. Get a list of 3 and check several times a week. You'll get some in the month or so. Best of luck. Bruce
Yup, it's worked for me. So far I've gotten the powder I need, plus I started with with some on hand when things went south. Also, some of the guys here have pointed me to suppliers with what I was looking for when i posted WTB in the classifieds here. Great forum and great bunch of guys!

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams