Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Is any body as frustrated as I am? No Powder to buy!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Gold Member

Re: Is any body as frustrated as I am? No Powder to buy!

You may be pissed but there is nothing wrong with guys having a few 8lb kegs laying around. It's not Hoarding it's people stocking up for when this stuff happens. It's only happened a half dozen times, think people would learn. You keep a steady stock if what you use and you don't get caught with your pants down with these things.

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 06-27-2013, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mag_guy View Post
You may be pissed but there is nothing wrong with guys having a few 8lb kegs laying around. It's not Hoarding it's people stocking up for when this stuff happens. It's only happened a half dozen times, think people would learn. You keep a steady stock if what you use and you don't get caught with your pants down with these things.
+1

I never keep thousands of rounds worth of stuff around for each rifle, but I do keep a few hundred rounds worth on hand for each rifle I own. At present I have 5,000 rounds of centerfire ammo loaded and enough to re-stuff most of it. I need a few # of rl25 and a few other things but I'll wait until the idiots have maxed out their credit cards and buy a sale when they start happening. I don't care if I have to wait a year or two either.

I feel for the O.P. as I've been there before ( not having a damn thing to feed the rifle); more from being broke than the store shelves being empty though.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mag_guy View Post
+2

It's happend before and it'll happen again. Life isn't fair and it's a first come, first serve basis. Powder is out there. It's all what you are willing to pay and do for it. I'm not sure about the rest of the Cabelas, but the one in Hoffman Estates Illinois almost always has a variety of 1 pound powders on the shelves.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member

I believe what we are seeing now is the after effects, locally I've noticed that things are becoming more available. Just have to let supply catch up to the vacuum.

One thing I started doing after the previous panic was to just randomly buy components I use whether I needed them or not, put em away and forget about them. Then the next panic comes along take stock and breath a sigh of relief because you have more than you realize.

I was even selling some 22lr to friends.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-29-2013, 04:42 AM
Platinum Member

My local gun dealer says his distributor told him it may take two years before demand for supplies of components will level off.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:30 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
My local gun dealer says his distributor told him it may take two years before demand for supplies of components will level off.
In other words about the same time Odumma is out...

Old 06-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Silver Member

If you really need powder then check 2-3 times a week with a couple of the large mail order places. Third gen shooters supply has had a number of good sized powder shipments in the last several months. Some have been announced here so you can hear about it. Midway is the same way. No backorders, but they will notify when it comes in. Get a list of 3 and check several times a week. You'll get some in the month or so. Best of luck. Bruce