Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Another trimming question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

Another trimming question.

After watching Shawn Calocks video on long range hunting I have a question. In the video he made sure to trim cases till each got a full cut. My question is after doing this each brass will be a diffrent length. Should all brass be trimmed to the shortest brass so that they are all the same length or is that of little consequence? Thank's Brad
Old 07-31-2012, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

Re: Another trimming question.

I also use a run of the mill RCBS trimmer that is not micrometer adjustable thus when trimming I'm pretty much just guessing at the length till trimmed. Would I do much better with accuracy if using a trimmer that I can measure for while trimming? Thank's, Brad
Old 07-31-2012, 11:25 PM
Platinum Member

I cant speak for shawn but in my opinion. I like to trim brass so there is a complete ring so that the case mouth is square and the bullet leaves the case on all sides at the same time. Typically your trimmer is set to one length. But maybe he trims more or less on each one depending on the length.
I reccomend the redding 2400 trimmer or if you really want precision the Sinclair ultimate trimmer.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 08-01-2012, 12:18 AM
Silver Member

I use a lyman trimmer and set it up with a case trimmed to proper dimension. I mic one and trim SLOWLY without the stop locked until I get to the length I want. Then I use that case as my gauge to set the stop and go onward from there. I will trim to .010 shy of max length for my chamber every loading cycle for consistency. I also anneal every 2-3 cycles depending on caliber.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:28 AM
Gold Member

Cases should be trimmed as a "batch " . Measure all the cases untill you find the shortest case and set up to square that case up and all the rest should end up the same. If the batch is large then it could be quicker to pick a length and trim to that then put aside any that don't square up all the way around .
Then measure the batch that did not square up and find the short one and reset and trim all to that. Trimming is more interesting and productive than measuring is.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:43 AM
Platinum Member

Trimming brass too far below the barrel chamber length encourages formation of a carbon ring just in front of the case mouth. Eventually this carbon build up will result in severe loss of accuracy if not removed. To keep carbon ring to a minum, trim all cases within about .003" below the SAMMI casre length for your caliber.

There are several methods to remove carbon ring, just google it.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Trimming brass too far below the barrel chamber length encourages formation of a carbon ring just in front of the case mouth. Eventually this carbon build up will result in severe loss of accuracy if not removed. To keep carbon ring to a minum, trim all cases within about .003" below the SAMMI casre length for your caliber.

There are several methods to remove carbon ring, just google it.
If you use a bronze brush when cleaning your rifle and use powder solvent, this is a non-issue. It's those who choose to clean with patches only or nylon brushes that have odd issues like this. I trim .010" to.015" down from max. and have fired thousands of rounds with everything from 5.56 nato to 405 win with some really nasty bore eaters like the 7rum in the mix. I've never gotten a "carbon ring" in my chamber.
I tried going to shooters choice only for a while(after I ran out of Hoppes) and actually nearly filled the rifling on the 7rum with carbon deposits for the first few inches, but one heck of a scrub down with hoppes #9 and a bronze brush solved that little problem. The shooters choice is reserved for copper fouled bores only now. Funny how the new bottle(shooters choice) says to use powder solvent also, but I don't remember the old one saying that.