Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Another Neck Turn Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Silver Member

Another Neck Turn Question

Well as I started cleaning up the necks on my brass I thought of something. If I only seat the bullet half way into the neck, is there any reason to turn more than that half of the neck where the bullet is seated? I don't guess I would need to turn onto the shoulder to avoid the doughnut if my bullet will never be seated that deep. My next question is if I have already turned 10 cases all the way onto the shoulder will these down the road shoot different than the cases that are only turned half way? I was thinking the difference in wall thickness in the two groups would have to create some difference in pressure or sizing. Thanks
Old 06-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Gold Member

Re: Another Neck Turn Question

I would advise turning your necks to the shoulder and sizing the neck as far down as you need it.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

I would also turn the entire neck. How far the bullet is seated is half the equation. The entire neck still makes contact in the chamber once expansion starts. You will have potentially more asymmetry by turning only half.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:07 PM

If you turn your brass always turn to the shoulder. Your dies are set to size the neck and you can create different neck pressure and run-out issues as your die and expander ball will contact different neck wall thickest and resistance. Hope this helps. Capt kurt