Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Annealing necks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Annealing necks

We don't actually want to anneal. Annealed brass is ruined. We stress relief.

Quenching is not needed for either. We sink heat from the base because no stress relieving is desired there.

Brass is not affected in any way below 450deg. I lead dip stress relieve at 650deg to half way down the body over a 30sec period. Measuring the case head with the brass so immersed, has produced no more than 260deg. So dropping in water hasn't been needed. I do though, cuz I got no where to safely put oil smoking/hot brass, and I have to clean the oil out of the cases anyway. Hasn't seemed to hurt anything so far..But maybe I should allow longer cooling periods.

Unread 03-22-2007, 10:17 PM
Re: Annealing necks

I can never understand why instructions on case neck annealing tell you to tip the case over in the water after heating it to dull red, doing so you are effectively quenching the case.
To anneal any copper based alloy correctly it should be allowed to cool at room temperature after heating.
The water in the tin is primarily there as a heat barrier, preventing the conduction of heat to the case body.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not picking a fight Ian but, I have used the Hornady system for a couple years and find it to be very reliable. The main feature of the system is the tempilaq fluid used to paint a small stripe on the case just below the shoulder. According to the techs at Hornady You need to apply the blue tip of the torch to the juncture of the neck and shoulder. By the time the indicator stripe melts comletely at 475 degrees the area being heated has reached a temp close to 750 degrees. It then HAS to be quenched to prevent the heat from migrating to the WEB area and weakening it. If this area is annealed it leads to premature case head separation. This might sound like it's a lot different than your theory but I tend to believe the Manufacturer of brass when it comes to these things. No offense