Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Annealing Lapua brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 08:37 AM

Re: Annealing Lapua brass

I just annealed 100 pieces of 308 lapua brass that was fresh out of the tumbler, but mine definitely had a color change. I also use the torch it and time it method, however I am looking at getting a machine for consistency as well as safety. To the best of my knowledge the real concern when annealing is to be careful not to soften the body, when I anneal I will keep it in the heat just long enough to let the color change go about 1/4" below the shoulder which is less than the factory lapua. But I have been known to error on the side of caution.

Any comments or concerns are welcome I know there are some on here with much more experience and knowledge than I.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Silver Member

I use the torch and drill method to anneal after every firing and have seen accuracy/consistency greatly increase in my target shooting. A friend has a bench source annealer and I'm going to do a test at the next match with half done by hand and half with a bench source and see if I can tell the difference. I don't think there will be. About color, I have noticed that different brands of brass and different prep done to the brass creates different colors when annealed.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Silver Member

I annealed lapua 6br brass today. It took 7 seconds as compared to Winchester 7mm rem mag and 300 win mag which takes 5 sec.

Much smaller case yet more heat. I've read about zinc content being different in lapua and also I'm positive case walls are thicker.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Did you mearure them?