Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Annealing Lapua brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Annealing Lapua brass

far as I'm concerned (and quite a few other posters on here that have b een around for a while) is mechanized annealing because the dwell time in the flame is precisely controlled, eliminating the human factor.

There are a couple good machines out there but most of us use a Bench Source Annealer.

I would never try annealing by hand or the pie pan/cold water method. Too much variance and it's a fine line between annealed and over annealed, even with Templaq.

Too soft and your gun blows up. Why chance it.

..........but then, it's your gun and your face, not mine.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Just for your information...I use a benchsource annealer. It is very precise but expensive. Well worth it in my opinion. It is easy for me to tell when the case is hot enough with the benchsource annealer because the flame coming off the neck will start to change color. I have tested it with tempilaq and it works. I hate tempilaq though. That is the messiest stuff ever after you burn it.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

An IR thermometer (good one) works pretty well too. You need to keep the laser pointed on the case neck.

Our LWS (Local Welding Supply) Airgas, also has crayons that aren't quite as messy as templaq, I agree, it's messy.

None of the good machines are cheap but you get what you pay for.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member

With my 6.5x284 using Lapua brass, I anneal every 4-5 firings, and also push the shoulders back at the same time since I neck size. I use a Benchsource annealer but it's not necessary to do a good job if your are consistent. It is very convenient, fast and consisent, particularly if you do a lot of shooting. I have found no difference annealing with accuracy or ES before or after other than it gives me one more cycle if I do it after annealing. One key point. After you anneal, you will feel a difference in bullet seating pressure. This is not caused by a change in the plyabilty of the brass, but a change in the surface structure of the brass. It will disappear after the next firing but if you size right after annealing you should use a little Imperial wax as to not scratch your dye bushing, particularly if they are untreated steel. If you expand, put a little right at the mouth of the case. I also use a very small amount on the bullet or mouth of the case to keep the bullet from requiring high seating pressure and possibly causing runout issues. I have scratched and ruined steel bushings and dyes whe sizing freshly annealed brass that was not lubed. I think that the annealing process causes crystals to form on the surface. If have noticed the same effect when using an expander with new Lapua brass. I do notice a discoloring of the brass similar to new Lapua brass after annealing. Using this process I can get 10-20 reloads with my brass. IMO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 09-18-2013, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the replies. Good info. I have a brand new batch of Lapau brass but want to use these up with this chamber first. Still undecided what a future build will be or I will just build a new barrel with same chambering. Thinking of hanging on to the brass for that. who knows.

I will play with it tonight hopefully. I am leaving for another hunt Saturday and want to take the rifle in case we see wolves. This area has a quite a few generally so the chances are good. If you guys were closer I would just pay you to do it for me this go around.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

I have a lot of 20 test brass I use to develop loads I worked on last night. 650 tempilaq with my torch was 5 seconds. The more varnished the brass the more color it had. The freshly cleaned brass showed very little color.

I ran paint inside the neck and down the outside of the case. Put flame at base of neck and shoulder area. The heat flow was on par with the brand new lapau brass, just not the pretty coloration with the shiny clean brass.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member

I hit my case necks at the shoulder joint for 5 1/2 seconds with my propane torch, with the cases rotating in a battery operated drill. A close match to your 5 seconds.