Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Annealing Lapua brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member

Annealing Lapua brass

Looks like I am about ready to go into my 6th reloading of Lapau brass for the 6.5-284. I have not annealed before, I do have the paint.

I don't know if the is right time to do it, should I get a few more reloads, etc. I have not done this before so it is my first adventure with fire and paint.

Any thoughts? Is it time? I primarily have necked sized only with .002 neck die.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Annealing Lapua brass

I usually anneal any brass that I shoot after 3 reloads. Your cases are getting pretty darn work hardened after 6 firings.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

I should be going on 6. 5 so far. I should be right at 500 rounds through this rifle.

I am kinda of wondering if I am getting some pressure from a hardened neck. I recently started seeing some pressure signs that have not been there since I went down a full grain of powder.

Guess I will give it a go tonight and try to not burn my house down.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Silver Member

Although the neck and shoulder get the most work done on them, the entire case to a degree is also worked. I anneal every other firing with my long range rifles, and after 3 firings on everything else.

The reason you are seeing more pressure signs is because as the brass hardens it doesn't 'spring' as much, either when it expands to grip the chamber, increasing bolt thrust, or when you size it back to smaller dimensions, annealing brings 'spring back' back to spec, increasing neck tension and decreasing some of the bolt thrust.
Obviously you are only annealing the neck, but I allow the heat to flow about a third down from the neck into the body, just like factory Lapua brass looks like. This reduces bolt thrust a reasonable amount and the brass lasts longer.
I have heard people say they get 20+ loads from their brass, that's fine, but if you get to the point where the 5th trimming is necessary, that brass is toast.

There are plenty of videos on youtube on annealing rifle brass, if you're unsure, have a quick look before you start.

Cheers.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

The biggest problem I have with annealing lapua brass is that I can't see it change colors. Other brass gives an obvious blue line that travels down the case but I don't get it with lapua. I will typically count to 10 while spinning the brass and it comes out pretty good. Obviously the time required will be determined by your heat source. I use a basic propane torch that is used to sweat copper pipes and such. I do notice the force required to seat the bullets is less once annealed and will need slightly more force once the necks start to harden.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Anneal first then size. Correct?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

correct