Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Annealing-how?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2005, 06:01 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Annealing-how?

A mate are you in Perth?I spent 2 years in Exmouth.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Silver Member

FWIW I've always annealed 223 by holding the case in my fingers and twirling it in a propane torch flame cone. It gets hot enough and because I'm holding it with my fingers I can't hold it long enough to ruin the base of the case. I drop it into a bucket of water.

Not sure how it would work with larger cases. It works super and does what it needs to on 223
Old 01-27-2005, 09:07 AM
Silver Member

Hey folks, please take this in the sprit it is intended. NUTS. You simply must read chapter four of the good Dr. Howell's book to get a perfect understanding of this process. A vary critical temp must be reached, the case must be heated all the way around. You simply cannot look for a color change! What all of you have recited so far is just a rehash of what other gun writers have put in print. Please all, take a deep breath and find the resolve to read chapter four of Dr. Howell's book. This is a must to get the job done, not just properly, but far more important, safely. Nothing in loading your own is more dangerous than loading a dead soft ctg. case! I believe Dr. Howell can be reached through 24-hour campfire.com. Do a web search for the URL as I have had no luck trying to post one on this web-site (my fault no doubt) I really hate to go on about this but as a long time wildcater and untill this book went into print I followed all the old time bad advice from the gunwriters and was lost. If his book did nothing else for me, It saved me years of trouble and on reflection makes me cry at some of the crap the gunwriters had me try! This really works! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2005, 11:41 PM
Silver Member

I have read this topic in the past and on other forms and it sounds to me like nobody knows what they are doing. Everyone is doing it differently with little or no scientific data or equipment. All say their method works. I have worked in the glass business where we tempered safety glass by heating up and quenching with air and can tell you that a slightly different heat index or quench time will dramatically effect the end results. Enough that we tested a piece of glass every time we changed thickness to make sure it would pass safety standards. Also, I might add that every thickness had a different program. Now I know this is a different substrate but the process is very similar for metals. I also have a brother in law who works with high pressure diaphrams for the oil and gas business and they have an annealing oven to obtain certain RC hardnesses with exotic metals such as gold for corrosion resistance applications and I can tell you none of the results described by the process here can be even remotely consistant by means of final temperature before annealing occurs and how fast the cases are cooled. I would be willing to bet that neck tension is more inconsistent than it was before it was cooked to ahh just about the right color then tossed on the garage floor or dunked in water. I urge anyone who is considering to do this just throw the brass away and start over. Its not worth the risk!

Lance
Old 01-30-2005, 01:40 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
A mate are you in Perth?I spent 2 years in Exmouth.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tho ,
Nope , about 260 clicks East , halfway to Kalgoorlie and a bloody long way from Exmouth .
What were you doing in Exmouth ? Military ?
Old 01-30-2005, 11:23 AM
Bronze Member

Ya,ran the fishing boat and ran the generators.Pleanty of fishing and outback riding,bikes.No shooting,1 man owns/leases the whole cape and he wouldn't let his mother hunt.Altho i did get him to come around,after i wouldn't give him water for his herd,and his stock roamed our 400acre station.we were waiting to get parts for our treatment plant.Next time he showed up he told the boss that we could get all the goats we wanted.Ya ferril,So the dogs ate good after that.i made a 22 smokie that i put on my big spear gun.I lost track of a friend there he moved to Kalgoorlie,Has a unlisted number and the operator won't give me the address.His name is Clinton Wylde,I think he works for the shire.Ya,Exmouth has it advantages,no abbos the witch doctor put it off limits to them,so most of the people there were turos but they stayed.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:02 PM

Hornady has adevice on the market that is composed of three different head sized cups that hold the case heads. these can be spun in an electric drill.The case necks are painted with a temp sensitive product that melt at a specific temperature. the case neck and sholder are heated with a propane torch untill the stuff melts then dump in cold water. The case will have a noticable change in color indicatin the annealed portion. If you look at Lilga cases or military brass they show an annealed line also.The purpose of annealling is th change the grain structure from course to a finer one.
Good luck , the B [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]ear