Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Annealing-how?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2005, 07:40 AM

Annealing-how?

I have been reloading for a couple of weeks now and have worked up a nice load for my .223, .243 & 308 now I have found my load I would like to start to look after my brass I have seen pictures of cases and rounds on here that have been annealed and would like to be able to do it, can somebody please kick me in the right direction.

Thanks
Leon
Old 01-26-2005, 07:48 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Annealing-how?

To my knowledge all necked cases are annealed.I'ts not what you think,annealing actually removes hardness from tempering.You heat the item to dull red and let cool at room temp,presto.They just clean the cases again so you can't see it.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:21 AM

Most people set the cases in icy, or very cold water before heating the cases. It keeps the lower part of the case from being softened. If the lower part of the case gets soft you could have a case blow out. You don't want that!
Old 01-26-2005, 10:58 AM

Leon,

This method works for me: place the cases to be annealed in a pan of cold water about 1-1.5 inches deep. Get your propane torch out and hold it at a 45 degree angle to the case neck making sure that half the flame goes inside the case neck to hit the opposite side of the neck, and half the flame hits the side of the neck the torch is on. Do this operation with the lights out in the room so you can properly see the annealing take place by watching the color of the case neck change to a dull orange. As soon as the dull orange color moves into the shoulder area, knock the case over in the water to "immediately" cool the case. Try to make sure all of the annealing color change is uniform on the cases so they all perform the same. This procedure is really not needed until your cases lose neck tension. Then this procedure works wonders to soften the necks so they will hold resizing. Good Luck!
Old 01-26-2005, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

Do yourself a huge favor, Get Dr. Ken Howell's book. Follow the instructions to the letter. Hornaday made a kit for this process, get ahold of one of there kits. Forget everything else you have heard about annealing, as to the processes you heard elsewhere, they don't work. They are a rehash of what other gun writers have put in print and that crap about putting them in water does not work! Anyone who has tried it, knows better. Buy, beg or borrow a copy of "Designing and forming CUSTOM CARTARGES" It is the only book in print or for that matter ever in print to my knowledge that tells you the correct method for this process. See chapter 4 of this outstanding work and you will be 1000 miles ahead of the rest of the herd in your gun knowledge! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2005, 12:05 AM

Thanks gents, book shopping it is then.

Leon
Old 01-27-2005, 04:21 AM
Silver Member

Leon ,
I read a good article on annealing somewhere that advised against heating to the point where case necks are cherry red . From memory the brass alloy was damaged at this temperature . Neck runout got worse when a blowtorch was used due to difficulty in heating the neck evenly . Suggestion in the article was to dip the case necks in molten lead for a few seconds .Remove cases from lead before they are red hot .Apparently it is not necessary to quench the cases in cold water when this method is used .