Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Annealing Accuracy Increase???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: Annealing Accuracy Increase???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehawker View Post
I have some Winchester 7mm STW nickel plated brass.

Does annealing work on nickel plated brass?
I have the same question. I had once fired cases and sized them. I had used Redding Wax, but the sizing was extremely difficult. The 50% of the cases had dents on the side of the case just beneath the shoulder. This is an indication for me of resistence to the resizing process. This is not the same as when you put too much lube on the shoulder and it dents the shoulder - this is on the side of the case just below the shoulder. Had read on forums that it is not realy worth while to use these cases and that it could damage the die sets. However, it is difficult for me to throw away any cases and I have thought of just buying another die set for these cases since I do no want to mess up my Redding set.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

I have heard differing views on annealing nickel cases. I have never tried them for that reason. Mt experience with both pistol and rifle cases that are nickle plated has been 1/3 to 1/2 the life if rads. Adds before thy rack at the neck. I try to avoid them them.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 04-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Bronze Member

I also firmly believe that annealing regularly increases accuracy due to consistent neck tension. I anneal after each loading and find it a simple process for all the benefits provided. I use a small propane torch and heat just until the color change occurs at the shoulder.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:52 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehawker View Post
I have some Winchester 7mm STW nickel plated brass.

Does annealing work on nickel plated brass?
Yes, no problem.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotemaster View Post
I also firmly believe that annealing regularly increases accuracy due to consistent neck tension. I anneal after each loading and find it a simple process for all the benefits provided. I use a small propane torch and heat just until the color change occurs at the shoulder.
Some good advise there over annealing is one of the problems that catches most people out.