Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Is annealing 7mm STW brass worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Is annealing 7mm STW brass worth it?

I'll probably take it to my smith when I get my action for my .280 AI build.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehawker View Post
I've got over 500 pieces of Remington 7mm STW brass last year and been reloading it for my two 7mm STW Senderos. I've been only using 200 pieces of it (saving the other 300 hundred until the current 200 is worn out) and have been getting good groupings after I have reloaded it three times.

I've heard that 7mm STW brass is usually only good to last for about 5 reloads.

I've also heard that you annealing brass after about after 5 reloads too.

Would it be worth it to me to purchase a Benchsource Annealing Machine for my 7mm STW brass or a waste of money because the 7mm STW brass case life expectancy?

I also have over 100 Winchester 7mm STW nickel plated brass from my Dad. Do you benefit from annealing nickel plated brass?

Thanks!
I have to say that "MudRunner2005" HIGHJACKED my thread!!!

If you want to talk about your own 7mm STW brass problems, START your own thread!!!

Now can we get back to MY (the Original Poster of this thread) questions?

I've heard that 7mm STW brass is usually only good to last for about 5 reloads.

I've also heard that you annealing brass after about after 5 reloads too.

Would it be worth it to me to purchase a Benchsource Annealing Machine for my 7mm STW brass or a waste of money because the 7mm STW brass case life expectancy?

I also have over 100 Winchester 7mm STW nickel plated brass from my Dad. Do you benefit from annealing nickel plated brass?

Thanks!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 04-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

It wasn't intentional...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Gold Member

The links I posted earlier were for 7mm Mag brass. Very similar to your brass. If the brass fits the chamber well and is not FL sized every time, it should last a good while. Yes, how soon you need to anneal the neck/shoulder depends on how "loose" the neck is in the chamber. The "looser" the sooner you will need to anneal.

If you get an annealing machine, it will make the process easy. I followed the Youtube "anneal in a baking tin" method and did 500 cartridges in 2 evenings, about an hour each.

How frequently you do a batch depends on the rate you shoot. With the above method, you could do it after every 3 firings. Thats what I plan on with my 243 AI shells which are fireformed in the chamber.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:14 AM
Silver Member

I have to anneal my STW brass after the 2nd firing or I can't get my sizer back out of the neck without lots of "torque". I'll get one more firing and then the case cracks as shown by mudrunner. My dies don't touch the shoulder either. If you can get factory brass for $.65 probably not worth it. If you buy from an individual at $1.00 it starts to look promising, provided you get enough brass life otherwise.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

Bob, I'd graphite(lube) your necks to ease the pull on them- brushing the carbon out with a fresh bronze brush sometimes helps too. I'd also try to find the reason you are loosing brass to seperation.
I can't get rem stw brass easier than anyone else right now so I may be looking at annealing brass if it work hardens; the shop I bought out of remmy 7stw brass got in nosler at $70 per 25 casings. I'll make brass from something else first.....
Old 06-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Silver Member

I never thought of bronze. I use the plastic brush but it doesn't do anything. I'll try the graphite.
Not sure what's causing the separation, it's always happened with this setup. I do know the neck is the only thing that moves. My shoulders don't move even after a 3rd firing but the neck grows over .005". I measure both neck and shoulder from the base.