Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Is annealing 7mm STW brass worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Gold Member

Is annealing 7mm STW brass worth it?

I've got over 500 pieces of Remington 7mm STW brass last year and been reloading it for my two 7mm STW Senderos. I've been only using 200 pieces of it (saving the other 300 hundred until the current 200 is worn out) and have been getting good groupings after I have reloaded it three times.

I've heard that 7mm STW brass is usually only good to last for about 5 reloads.

I've also heard that you annealing brass after about after 5 reloads too.

Would it be worth it to me to purchase a Benchsource Annealing Machine for my 7mm STW brass or a waste of money because the 7mm STW brass case life expectancy?

I also have over 100 Winchester 7mm STW nickel plated brass from my Dad. Do you benefit from annealing nickel plated brass?

Thanks!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 04-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Is annealing 7mm STW brass worth it?

Always wondered.....Most folks seem to get cracked necks or shoulders, but mine seem to always blow out around the belt and base while the shoulders and necks tend to remain fine. So, I guess anything is possible.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Gold Member

"Regular" bottleneck cartridges headspace off the shoulder (firing pin pushes the case forward till it stops), then when fired the case stretches backward until it touches the bolt face. So if your body or FL die tends to knock the shoulder back too much, it will stretch the brass near the base with every firing until the case head finally separates.

What you showed in the picture looks like a belted Magnum case. Those are supposed to headspace off the belt. But again, if the chamber is too generous for the shoulder position, and your die knocks the shoulder back after every firing, it will only be so many cycles before the case head separates.

There is something wrong between your chamber dimensions and your die dimension to cause that problem. I don't own any belted magnums nor dies for them, but I think you need to increase the distance to the shoulder on your brass so that it does not need to be stretched with every cycling. It is certainly not the kind of failure mode I want to be having with my brass....

OK, below is the 8mm Rem Mag which apparently is the parent case.

If the dimension E (5.59mm) or L1 is off, it will create the problem you are experiencing. Have you ever bought a head space gauge to check ? $30 to save your brass ?

Old 04-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Those brass had been reloaded like 4-5 times. Most belted mags don't last that long. I think the brass just wore-out.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 04-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Gold Member

Posted here on this forum
Brass life expectancy.

Different forum 1 split neck after 9 reloads (winchester brass)
View single post by Slingshot

Same thread as above, reports that following die maker directions will set you up for case head separation
View single post by Don Fischer

More
View single post by Don Fischer

Anyway, you get the idea..
Old 04-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

The scary part is, is that all I use are neck-sizer dies for my bolt-actions....

I think only other option is bad brass, or just work-hardened it too much, and it got brittle... That's the only options I can think of.

Quote:
Old 04-20-2013, 07:18 PM
Gold Member

Or the distance from bolt face to belt groove in chamber is off 0.006-0.010. That will do it for sure... This type of brass has 2 different failure modes for case head separation. If either the space to the shoulder from the belt, or the space from bolt to belt is off it will cause the same problem. If you neck size only though, then it suggests the primary head space is off. $30 gauge will tell you that. To fix it though (Remington) would require some material removed from the barrel shoulder.

Just how much does that brass cost ??? For me 6.5x284 Norma was about $1.25 a piece. I sure as heck want to get all the life I can out of expensive (and unobtainable) brass.