Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Annealing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Gold Member

Annealing?

Is it worth annealing my Brass?
Old 03-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Annealing?

You might want to put some context around that question.

I feel like Lapua and Norma are better annealed to start with and I haven't kept any long enough to require annealing it myself.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

I anneal every 5 firings. If I go longer than that, I can start to see some marks on the neck I'll 'fatique', for lack of a better term, and then soon after comes neck cracking. I've found this to be the case with Rem 300RUM brass and 338 Lapua brass, although I've not cracked a Lapua caseneck, though I see the same markings start to appear on these as on 300RUM brass that then will start to crack a couple of fireings later. As much as cracking is an issue, another issue avoided by anealing is work hardening of the neck to the point that it won't form well when sized. Experiences and milage may vary, but I've persoannly found that annealing every 5 firings seems to keep things running pretty smoothly overall. Just me--there's many on here with muchmore expereince than I...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 03-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

I just recently started annealing last year and so far the Frontier .300WinMag cases I annealed have provided sub 1/2" MOA out to 500dys. I agree with JMDEN, it does seem to help keep your brass running smoothly. Neck tension is more consistent.
I just annealed all the R P .25-06 cases I had this past Saturday. Had a total of 43, started out with 100. Most of this batch I lost to split necks but it was a bad batch from day one. I lost a dozen after the first firing.
Is is worth it? To me, yes. I like doing it and being frugal, I consider it PM's on my brass. I purchased 100 Lapua cases for my 6.5-284Norma less than a year ago. I am starting on my 3rd reloading and have only neck sized these cases. I haven't had to trim them and I don't know if that's due to the quality of the brass or the chamber in my rifle. I tend to think a little of both. After this 3rd firing I will anneal them all. JohnnyK.