Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Anealing--when do you do it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2005, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Anealing--when do you do it?

I've heard some guys say not to do it at all. Others say just do it once before you fireform the cases. I've heard that some comp guys aneal every loading. What is the best thing to do, and why, for long range hunting with the larger cases like the 300RUM?

jmden

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-02-2005, 09:08 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Anealing--when do you do it?

If its just a standard chambering, if your running hot, every 5-6 loading has been about right for me. With that said, I generally run my larger magnums hot enough that after 6 firings the cases are pretty much ready to be used as paper weights!!!

If your wildcatting I generally recommend annealing after fireforming the case the first time and then every 5-6 firings after that if the cases are worth annealing.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-03-2005, 10:19 AM

Never, Just buy more brass.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

Maybe I'm mistaken, but won't neck turning do the same thing as anealing?
Old 10-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Fiftydriver,

Why anneal after the first firing and not before the first firing?

Thanks,

jmden

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Neck turning or trimming has nothing to do with annealing. It's about elasticity. As you use the brass it work hardens and will fracture as it get flexed from sizing or firing. Annealing softens it back up so it will flex again. If I'm dead set on using used brass to wildcat I like to anneal before I blow the shoulders out. Otherwise I only do it when the necks start splitting. That tells me they are getting brittle. This is not a problem with my Lee Collet dies. They work the brass very little so now I only retire brass that won't hold a new primmer or the head gets to big to fit in the shellholder anymore. For me this doen't happen until I get up near 20 shots on it. I did get a batch of 500 super brittle 22-250 Remington brass that split 3 out of 5 necks on the first firing. I'm just jacking those on the ground now and will buy new once they are gone. I want to switch it over to Winchester brass anyway.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:23 AM
Silver Member

I totally agree with Fifty driver! Usually within 5-6 firings the necks have become brittle. What you will notice is that the bullets seat harder than they used to. If you try and pull the bullet, if will be very noticable that you have to destroy the bullet to pull it because the neck has such a death grip on it. This death grip leads to higher pressures and blown groups.

Pay very close attention to how the bullet seat from case to case.

Like fifty Drive said, most Magnums are red lined to get the accuracy node and their cases may not even last 5 firings, especially Norma brass that is soft to begin with.