Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Ammo or Technique?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Ammo or Technique?

There can be lots of different thing going on, but the larger center targets look pretty good. The smaller targets disperse. If the first groups shot are at the center targets and the subsequent groups at the smaller targets are follow ons, maybe it's POI shifting from the heated, non floating barrel on your Weatherby, which they are famous for. I've had a few, and they all did this prior to free floating. If I saw these targets shot by an experienced shooter that would be my guess. With an inexperienced shooter, and a good shooting rifle, it could be caused by inconsistent trigger control, focusing on the target dot instead of the ctrosshair in the sight picture, or just plain flinching. Just a few thoughts.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 10-16-2013, 07:11 AM

I was hoping someone would say - "based on the targets, it's definitely the factory ammo." But I know that is wishful thinking. Most likely I'm the weak link in the chain: Shooter- rifle - scope - ammo. After reading through some of the great info on this site, especially about flinching, I'm thinking that may be my problem. Notice the 1st eight shots aren't too bad. After that maybe I'm starting to get sore and anticipating the recoil. Or, it's the warmed up barrel.

Looking back through my target sets of the past 4-5 sessions I notice a pattern - my first shots of the day are pretty good. Very similar to the targets I posted here. I think I'll try giving the barrel a good, long cool down period between 4-shot groups and see what sort of results I get.

Shooting well and consistently is turning out to be more difficult than I anticipated!
Old 10-16-2013, 12:18 PM

When i was younger and had just started hunting, my older cousin would take me out to the range to practice. He would help me get my gun sighted in then i would take over, he would always load the next shell without me looking and every once in a while he would just throw a empty chamber. I would get down on the gun the first couple emptys and click... Wow i was really pulling them ( flinching ). The point of this story is it really showed me how bad and why i was pulling shots, i would recommend getting someone to go shooting with you that can switch it up and give you a empty every now and then without you knowing. It worked for me...
Old 10-28-2013, 02:56 PM

I may be making some progress, but I'm not sure. Ignore the small targets at the corners. I was playing with factory ammo and shooting some off a bipod instead of the Caldwell rest, some freehand shots, etc.

I got my first ever hand loads together and ... they shoot and didn't blow my face off. So I'm counting that as incremental progress. One step at a time.

I shot 10 rounds at the upper center target with the minimal/starting load. The bottom center target got 10 rounds with 1 grain above the starting load. On the upper target I jerked the rifle on one shot and placed the round lower and to the right - which actually looks like an aimed shot at that little target. I count 8 holes near the upper center target - I have no idea where #9 went. I can usually tell when I jerk or slap the trigger. So, I going to claim that I put one shot right through an existing hole. At least that makes me feel better.

Bullet seating depth was set to match the HSM factory loads I have on hand with the same Berger bullet. I have tried all the home brew methods to locate where my bullets hit the rifle lands (smoke, Sharpie, floppy bolt with no firing pin) but just can't get a decent read. I have a pair of cleaning rod stops on the way and I'll try that technique next.

In the meantime I'm working up another batch just to go practice my technique loading and shooting. I'll have to admit, I was pretty full of myself when the first batch worked!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Ammo or Technique?-img_20131028_101853_679.jpg  

Old 11-04-2013, 11:50 AM

Well, how 'bout that?! I followed Eric Stecker's procedure on "Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle" And, sure enough, one group stood out. The group that's .090" off the lands. Now it's time for the fine tuning. Although, I'm not sure that it's going to get much better than these results. But, who knows?
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Ammo or Technique?-img_20131104_112211_836.jpg  

Ammo or Technique?-img_20131104_112241_157.jpg  

Old 11-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Silver Member

You are in for it now, the addictions has just begun
Try improving your techniques along with dry firing. Many would not believe how much a few minutes a day of dry firing will help and it costs nothing
Old 11-04-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
You are in for it now, the addictions has just begun
Try improving your techniques along with dry firing. Many would not believe how much a few minutes a day of dry firing will help and it costs nothing

Improving my technique is definitely the hurdle now. There was an older gent at the range yesterday watching what I was doing. It took him all of about 30 seconds to walk over and tell me, "you're jerking your trigger finger." I paid more attention to that and, sure enough, I immediately saw an improvement.