Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Am I the only one??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Bronze Member
Re: Am I the only one??

I too have had many instances where the RCBS die would not bump the shoulder. I simply started grinding off the top surface of the shell holder and kept checking with the Stoney Point tools until I was bumping the shoulder back. The modified shell holder worked with several dies but not all so I took a little more off. The downside is that you can't just crank the FL die down tight on the shell holder, but the Stoney Point tools allow you to get the correct setting.

Someone mentioned the Redding Comp Shell Holders - I had the same thought too. However, after trying them what they allow you to do is to size the case less (in 0.002 incriments) not more (which is needed to bump the shoulder back).

I used to retail the Redding dies and over about a two year period switched every die set on my bench for the Reddings. However, I have had some of these that I had to use my cut shell holder on. Dies are hardened and somewhat expensive at least when compared to a shell holder. Give it a try its a cheap fix.

Craig in SE Idaho

Unread 03-11-2007, 12:32 PM

I cant say I ever had that happen to me,I load 222,7x57,270,308 all with RCBS dies no problems at all.
Unread 03-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

Add me to the list. I have a stack of RCBS dies collecting dust because of this same reason. All of my working dies are Redding.

For RCBS to act like this is a first for them is pure BS. When I worked at a reloading store in AZ, we had multiple RCBS dies come back for various sizing problems including this one, and that was 17 years ago. The company was contacted and we shipped all of the dies back if I recall, and the store was issued a credit. Dillon and Redding became our hot sellers because of this unresolved issue with RCBS.
Derek M.
Unread 03-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Gold Member

Just recently had to have the bottom of a Redding Body Die taken down. I think it had more to do with the chamber of the Remington 22-250 VLS than the die.
If you can read this, thank a teacher.......if you are reading this in English, thank a soldier.
Unread 03-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Bronze Member

try rcbs with semi-autos. another gimmick for rcbs to tell you to buy small base dies. i think it is a money saving process. they make the cutters a bit oversized. the first 20 dies cut will have this problem. the next 20 or so will size like a FL sizer should (due to wear). as the cutter becomes smaller, again due to wear, the next 20 or so will be small base dies.
Unread 03-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

To all:

Very interesting results. Keep them coming.

I was out shooting again recently and found out that the die I just barely had cut back .030" ALSO HAS A NECK DIMENSION PROBLEM!!. That's two strikes against one die. Had several rounds that I loaded on site with this sizing die not provide enough neck tension to hold a bullet when seated!

Then I go to work on another client's rifle (which has been a nightmare Christensen Arms) in 270 wsm and it won't size the necks in enough either!! That was strike three. From now on, clients are buying Redding dies for the project whether they have previously bought RCBS or not. RCBS is done in my mind as far as dies go.

For these two problem dies, they will be converted over to bushings ASAP.
Find it
Range it
Click it
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Unread 03-12-2007, 05:56 AM
Post deleted by Len Backus