Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Am I the only one??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member
Re: Am I the only one??

Well I'll be darn'd, now that you mention it!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I may have been inaccurately attributing the problem to "belted" cases. We'll see.

Also thanks for letting the cat out of the bag. Does Old Bear take outside orders for strange things [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!

Unread 03-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Bronze Member

Never had that problem with my Lee's. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
NRA Life
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Wildlife Foundation
Unread 03-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

I've never experienced that problem and I do measure my reloaded ammo with a StoneyPoint headspace gauge. I normally set shoulders back about .001".

Rather than cutting all those dies shorter wouldn't it be easier to use a set of Redding Comp shell holders? Although I doubt that you could get an additional .030" from a shell holder. That die should have gone back to RCBS so they could have seen the extent of the problem that you called them about.

[/ QUOTE ]

VH, you got it back'ards...the Comp. SH's DROP the case further from the die. GG needs the case moved CLOSER to the die...that said, out of maybe 20 sets RCBS/Redding I have not had this problem once...

Check it Out!!--> Shoot the Smack The Smiley Match...and help
Unread 03-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

TO be honest, I have not run into this specific problem with the RCBS dies. I have however had three sets of dies that would not size the case necks down anough to prevent me from pushing a seated bullet deeper in the case by hand.

There is a reason why 90% of my dies have redding engraved on them instead of RCBS!!!

Kirby Allen(50)
Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page:
Unread 03-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Gold Member

I have a set of RCBS 308 dies on the shelf, after resizing the bullet falls into the case, even with the expander ball removed! They are going back soon. I have trimed off the bottom of a 7mm mag sizer die, it would not bump the shoulder either. Then i had a set of 338 Win dies that crushed the shoulders .030 ''''now this is shoulder bump! RCBS has some bad quality control. This is why i build all my own dies for my custom wildcat chambers. When i start a new wildcat i order the reamers for both chamber and sizer dies. It is more work and adds time to the builds...but you get a sizer that matches your rifle chamber.

"Let the good times roll"
Unread 03-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

I have a RCBS neck sizer for 17 Rem that is too big
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club
Unread 03-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Gold Member

The closest I have come to this 'phenomenon' with RCBS is a 708 die that needs a little extra camming action to get the shoulders bumped back. I got 35 or 40 FC cases from a good'ole boy at the range. After FL sizing them, they would not feed in the rifle. After bottoming out the die, I still had not bumped the shoulders back any. Another 1/4 turn more or less with some elbow grease on the lever . . . 0.002" shoulder bump and cases that feed everytime.

I have switched over to Redding on all my new die purchases, but with nearly 40 RCBS dies, there are not too many more standard rounds that I can buy dies for. Oh well! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]