Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Am I about to blow my face off?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Am I about to blow my face off?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtownBcat View Post
Hey AJ,

Thanks for the info...would you mind explaining "crush fit"? I have read the term here before but not sure exactly what it means.

Ryan

After you reload the same brass a number of times (sometimes just once if it's a hot load or real soft brass) and don't full length resize it, the case will stretch enough that you will actually be 'crushing' the cartridge a couple thousandths between the shoulder and the head.

A crush fit is believed to be a more 'perfect' fit between the chamber and the cartridge. I've personally never had my best accuracy using that method. It may be that I am crushing it too much? Or maybe it is more applicable to typical 'smaller volume' BR type cartridges? I tend to lean toward the larger cartridges, with my light deer rifle being a 7mm Rem Mag and my varmint rifle being a .243 Win.

Hope that explains it,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 04-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

I ran into the same thing when I was loading some 165gr Hornady Interlocks in my 300WSM.COL showed to be between 2.840-2.900.I seated the bullets down to 2.810 because it touched the lands at 2.820.I tried some 165gr Hornady SST and they touch the lands at 2.880 so I set them at 2.860.I was thinking my rifle had a really short throat but it was just the shape of the bullet.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

Can't remember what issue but Varmint Hunters magazine printed a study of the merits of neck sizing over FL sizing . Concerning our hunting rifles. They produced evidence that it was necessarily more accurate. I shoot a 6x284 and a 22-250 AI I've FL same brass many many times and still have plenty life in them. Now mind you I anneal this brass also now that is a must.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

BTW what caliber are you loading for? Your shooting 200 gr Accubonds? in what a 308 ? 300 RUM ? That matters ! We know your not shooting a BR type rifle.............
Old 04-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Silver Member

Im shooting a 300WM. I had to use the BR-2 primers because thats all I could find. I realize they are "large rifle" primers but not "magnum". Could some one explain what difference I would notice if I had some magnum primers? Thanks.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtownBcat View Post
Im shooting a 300WM. I had to use the BR-2 primers because thats all I could find. I realize they are "large rifle" primers but not "magnum". Could some one explain what difference I would notice if I had some magnum primers? Thanks.

You will likely get a bit higher pressure and a bit more velocity. You can very easily get great groups without magnum primers in 300WM size chamberings. If you get a great load, stick with it. If you change to a different primer, please back off your load and work up to it; just like starting over with load development.

FWIW: I use BR-2's in my 300WSM, I use non-magnum rem 9 1/2's in my 7mm Rem Mag.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 04-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

So wouldn't the use of magnum primers give you a better long range load with better velocity? And I also wanted to know if you can trust the velocity that is published in the manuals or is owing a crono a must? I understand that all the long range drop tables use velocity....well you see where im going.