Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Am I about to blow my face off?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Am I about to blow my face off?!?

Congrats, AtownBcat.
Its a good feeling to shoot ammo you reloaded yourself. Good luck going forward.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

Thank you Sir....
Old 04-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Just wait till you shoot game with your reloads!
Old 04-15-2009, 07:18 AM
Platinum Member

AtownBcat Why neck size only? Life of brass? I've been hand loading for 30+ years unless you have a custom chamber and even then there is no hard evidence that once fired neck sized brass will be more accurate...... For some one to blow up their gun with hand loads they have to just about try to do that.Why? There are many warning signs before your rifle becomes a bomb. Or just be the dumbest idiot in the world. like loading a case full of pistol powder.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Silver Member

Honestly...because that was the way I was told to do it. I think it does have something to do with brass life, but i was also told that if you were to size only the neck you have a tighter fit in the chamber thus better groups. Like i stated this was my first time to shoot anything that i had loaded myself..so there is not a lot of exp. for me to draw from. I bought the "delux" die set from Lee so I have a full size die as well. Do you have something against neck sizing?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
AtownBcat Why neck size only? Life of brass? I've been hand loading for 30+ years unless you have a custom chamber and even then there is no hard evidence that once fired neck sized brass will be more accurate...... For some one to blow up their gun with hand loads they have to just about try to do that.Why? There are many warning signs before your rifle becomes a bomb. Or just be the dumbest idiot in the world. like loading a case full of pistol powder.

AtownBcat,

Neck sizing works fine for ANY chamber, factory or otherwise. Some of the benefits of neck sizing only are:
1) Less working of the brass (longer brass life, both in the neck and also ahead of the belt for belted cartridges).
2) By only sizing 3/4 of the neck, you will get a bit more 'centered' fit in your chamber.
3) You don't have to clean the lube off the case (because you don't have to lube the body of the case). In fact, if you are using the Lee Collet die, you don't have to use lube AT ALL.

There are also a couple drawbacks from neck sizing only. Mainly, you can build great ammo that will not work in other rifles. And secondly, if the rifle is used for hunting, you might have trouble closing the bolt on a very cold rifle, because it will typically shrink a little and be colder than the ammo (especially if you have carried it in your pocket )

Many folks have reported great groups with a crush fit, however I've never had that experience with my hunting rifles (heavy calibers). I've always had the best experience with about .001" of headspace (shoulder push back) and 3/4 of the neck resized (using bushing dies that gave around .001" of neck tension).

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 04-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Silver Member

Hey AJ,

Thanks for the info...would you mind explaining "crush fit"? I have read the term here before but not sure exactly what it means.

Ryan