Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Alternative to tumbling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Gold Member

Re: Alternative to tumbling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester View Post
I love to reload, but if I had to do what woods does I think I would go crazy.
Hey Forester, it drove me crazy a long time ago and I persisted and came out the other side and am better because of it

Keep in mind that I trim and chamfer at the same time. What method do you use to trim and how long does it take? How about chamfering, do you do that by hand and how long does that take?

I don't Flitz the cases everytime as it lasts through 3 or 4 firings depending upon use.

Hey AJ, I don't think making 'em look pretty makes 'em shoot any worse because of it neither
Old 08-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods View Post

Hey AJ, I don't think making 'em look pretty makes 'em shoot any worse because of it neither

Yeah, I'm sure you're right.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Bronze Member

You can buy an ultrasonic cleaner for around 100 bucks on Ebay. Best thing about these is they not only clean the outside of the case but the inside too. Don't have one but it's on the wish list... Here is a good write up on them. UltraSonic Case Cleaning

Last edited by sxwatson; 08-04-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

buckbrush,
Check that tumbler good. Mine has stopped on me twice over the past 10yrs. The first time the in-line on/off switch went bad. I repaired the switch and got it going again. The second time one of the AC wires came off underneath the bowl. I replaced the female connector and re-connected. My first response both times was to start looking for another tumbler. JohnnyK.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

"Alternative to tumbling"

Wipe the cases off with a dampened cloth.
All they need is to be clean, not polished.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Gold Member

One of my friends at the range uses Krazy Kloth to clean his cases. He cleans each case with the Krazy Kloth after it is fired prior to putting it back in the box.

- Krazy Kloth

One of my other friends uses the Birchwood Casey's Brass Cartridge Case Cleaner liquid and then the green cleaning/scrubbing pads to clean really stained/tarnished cases. He says the green pads really work.

Personnally I use the tumbler and then the Birchwood Casey's Brass Cartridge Case Cleaner liquid if they still aren't shiny enough. The liquid really cleans the insides well. The ISSO liquid works good too.

I also use the Krazy Kloth or Flitz from time to time to clean up the outside of dirty necks. My buddy says the green cleaning pads work good for that too.

Last edited by dwm; 08-05-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyk View Post
buckbrush,
Check that tumbler good. Mine has stopped on me twice over the past 10yrs. The first time the in-line on/off switch went bad. I repaired the switch and got it going again. The second time one of the AC wires came off underneath the bowl. I replaced the female connector and re-connected. My first response both times was to start looking for another tumbler. JohnnyK.
Pulled it apart. One of the female terminals had broken off the wire. 2 minute fix and it's back up and running.

Thanks everyone. I will look into some of those other options though...especially the shiny ones. Man those are pretty!