Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Altering Factory Ammo Seating Depth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Silver Member

Altering Factory Ammo Seating Depth

Does anyone here change the seating depth on factory ammo to improve precision? My rifle seems to like seating depths that are longer than SAAMI COAL and I was thinking that pulling and resetting bullets in factory match loads might improve precision as well. With components scarce, I'm looking to get better groups with what I have.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Altering Factory Ammo Seating Depth

Thats a very grey area.....

I wouldn't pull them at all. What I've done in the past is pull the pills part way out and seat back to a longer COAL without entirely removing the pill from the neck using the appropriate RCBS micrometer seating die and plug.

I then crimp the neck slightly with a Lee Collet crimper but I don't make a habit out of doing it, just in a pinch.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post

I wouldn't pull them at all. What I've done in the past is pull the pills part way out and seat back to a longer COAL without entirely removing the pill from the neck using the appropriate RCBS micrometer seating die and plug.

I then crimp the neck slightly with a Lee Collet crimper but I don't make a habit out of doing it, just in a pinch.
I didn't mean to say that I would pull them completely, Just enough that I would be sure to be able to reseat them further out than they were.

What caliber are you shooting that you would crimp the necks?
Old 09-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post

I wouldnt even do that!! Same amount of same powder in a new larger volumetric area....different burning then and it MAY be way off course.???
Old 09-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
I wouldnt even do that!! Same amount of same powder in a new larger volumetric area....different burning then and it MAY be way off course.???
Sully, you know me well enough to know that I would only do that in a pinch, it's certainly not my SOP, but then I ignite very little factory ammunition.

The times I've done it, maybe 5 times, it did't seem to effect trajectory but then, thats just my observation.

I did it last year prior to my NM Mulie hunt. I had ordered 2 boxes of 338 Lapua/Lapua loads from HSM and specified the COAL I wanted. The rounds came in but at the SAMMI spec so I ran them out to what I wanted in the first place and I saw no detrimental trajectory changes. I was going through a protracted wait on reloading dies which I got after 6 months so 'factory' loads are as thing of the past now.

I'm sure you can geuss how I 'Ran them out'....... Maybe I should say 'ran them out and bumped them back' in as much as I had the seater die but no NS or FL dies and a pile of brass.....

My concern was lost neck tension one reason for the crimp, besides....

To the OP, I crimp everything. That is SOP with me. Every caliber I reload. lets see, 223, 22-250, 300WSM, 300 WBY, 308 and 338. Of course the pistol rounds are roll crimped anyway. Everything else gets crimped with a Lee Collet Crimper, even pills with no cannelure. Not excessively, just a tad. I use a 'perfect crimp' on my press that insures a repeatable crimp pressure, first time, everytime.

Actually, crimping is an offshoot of the way I hunt. I tend to carry a number of cartridges in my coat pocket or pants pocket and trudging around in the woods tends to bang them around and I don't want the COAL to change.

Crimping is a personal preference on my part. Just insurance the way I look at it and I don't want to or desire to debate that....
Old 09-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Take me with ya in 2014 to NM for mulies
Old 09-23-2013, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
Take me with ya in 2014 to NM for mulies
That might be doable.

I'd like to see some moisture out there. Was drier than a popcorn fart when we were there (for 11 days).

Pretty wary creatures.