Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Alliant RL powders compared to Hodgdon Exteme

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Bronze Member

Alliant RL powders compared to Hodgdon Exteme

I am new to metallic reloading, been doing shotshell for quite a while, and I realize they are not the same thing.

I am curious as to if the Alliant reloader series of powders is as temperature insensitive as the Hodgdon Extreme series of powders is.

I am in Wisconsin and at least at this time would like to work up a load that a rifle likes and just go with it rather than a summer load and and winter load.... so the idea of the stability of the Extreme series is appealing to me.

So what have your experiences been.

Right now I am loading for my 223 Rem, 223 Ackley Improved, 243 Win and 280 Rem, and have not gotten too far into the process.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Alliant RL powders compared to Hodgdon Exteme

I have reloaded rifle ammo for about 10 years now and I have some very accurate loads with the Alliant powders mainly in RL22 and RL25. The bad thing is they are so temp sensitive I do not use them anymore. With my 280AI and my Weatherby calibers I switched to Hodgdon H4831sc for that reason........................ I would develop a great load in the summer with Alliant, when late fall came around and the temps changed so would my point of impact! Sometimes as much as 3 inches! I kept trying to make it work and after talking to other shooters with the same problem I just abandoned the Alliant powder. It's velocities are excellent also but if I can't put the bullets where I want to I don't want to use it................... I am also new to shotshell reloading and am afraid to use Alliant for shotshell reloading because of my experience with rifle loads.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Silver Member

http://www.hodgdon.com/smokeless/extreme/page2.php#top

http://www.hodgdon.com/smokeless/extreme/page3.php#top

Last edited by CogburnR; 01-23-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

My results were very close to the same in extreme temperature spreads but most powders
are effected more by temperatures in excess of 100o. and some were dangerous.

For the most part the extreme powders are the most unaffected by temp. changes.

Unfortunately some rifles like other powders better and for those cases I have two different
loads That produce the same results.one for winter and one for summer.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
My results were very close to the same in extreme temperature spreads but most powders
are effected more by temperatures in excess of 100o. and some were dangerous.

For the most part the extreme powders are the most unaffected by temp. changes.

Unfortunately some rifles like other powders better and for those cases I have two different
loads That produce the same results.one for winter and one for summer.

J E CUSTOM
+1 I quit using Alliant powders for the same reason....Rich
p.s. I also heard they are Norma seconds so vary considerably from lot to lot...Rich
Old 01-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casing View Post
........... I am also new to shotshell reloading and am afraid to use Alliant for shotshell reloading because of my experience with rifle loads.
I shoot a bunch of clay target sports stuff, and find some of the alliant powders to be excellent. Claydot and 20/28 are good stuff.

Since I have a good idea how many rounds I will shoot over the winter what I do in that situation is select a published recipe using a hotter primer like the Fed 209A or the CCI 209 magnum for my 12 gauge winter shooting. Warmer primer makes for more consistent ignition in the winter. And those same loads are safe for the summer too. And with shotgun any difference will be very negligible and we won't notice a difference for breaking clay targets anyway as long as we get good ignition.

For my rifle loading I am not a high volume shooter at this time, so I want to be able to put together one consistant load for a rifle and be able to use it whenever.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:22 AM
Silver Member

Gotta say I'll be switching to H-extreme powders for my 300wm as well. Was using reloader 22. Had a great load that was doing a little less than .5 MOA at around 60F. Using the same batch on a hunting trip when the temps went below freezing and suddenly I was lucky to stay inside 5MOA. Lucky for me I had a couple other loads with me and I found one that would at least group in the colder weather and had to do some quick range work to get data again during the season. Didn't have a chrony or anything to get any hard data but something was really going wrong. Might try cooling some the same loads and trying it again to see if I can reproduce the effect. Never had that issue with any of the H-extreme powder I have used. Now I gotta get rid of a couple extra pounds of RL-22 I have stocked or just enjoy shooting it over the summer and work up another load before season hits again with H-1000 or H4831SC.