Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Air compressor with wet media

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 12:33 AM
Gold Member

Air compressor with wet media

I've read a few posts regarding how to dry brass after tumbled with wet media. I use stainless media and an air compressor to dry the insides. Does anyone else use the air compressor? I've heard of an oven and hair dryer but never used these methods.

The air compressor takes a few seconds for three rounds. I rotate between neck and primer pocket with two to three second bursts rotating two times each while running the compressed air across the brass openings. You can see the water vapor shoot out of the holes the first pass. This method works well but haven't read of anyone else using this method.

So are there any others out there or better methods?
Old 07-07-2013, 01:20 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Air compressor with wet media

I have thought about the air compressor, but haven't tried it yet. I normally just set them on paper towels on the bathroom counter and let them dry for a day or 2, then tumble them.

I wish I was stainless media tumbling...Heard it works phenomenally.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:17 AM

I normally just let the brass lay on a towel for a couple of days but if I'm in a hurry I will use compressed air to blow them out then heat them with a heat gun on low.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Platinum Member

I just give 'em a shake to get the excess out and put them in the oven on "warm" for 15 or 20.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

When I do use wet media, I use my wife's food dehydrator to dry the brass. It will take a thousand at a time if necessary and takes about 30 minutes.

I'd be leery about compressed air unless there was a coalescing filter upstream and/or a Motorguard. Compressed air all contains entrained aersols (oil and water vapor) from the compressor and the storage tank.

The dehydrator my wife has costs about 50 bucks on Amazon.com.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
When I do use wet media, I use my wife's food dehydrator to dry the brass. It will take a thousand at a time if necessary and takes about 30 minutes.

I'd be leery about compressed air unless there was a coalescing filter upstream and/or a Motorguard. Compressed air all contains entrained aersols (oil and water vapor) from the compressor and the storage tank.

The dehydrator my wife has costs about 50 bucks on Amazon.com.
I never thought about using a dehydrator. I have two American Harvest dehydrators sitting above my air compressor. I'll give one a try next media cleaning. Thanks.

I use a filter on my compressor.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member

I pat them off after rinsing by rolling on a double paper town and tap the excess moisture out neck down.

Then either let them dry neck down in an oversized loading block so moisture can escape over night. Here in MT with the dry air it does not take long especially this time of year. I have done two batches in the past 2 days.

If not and I want to go on I run them through the annealing machine and they are bone dry.

Jeff