Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Ahhhh, the differance a little neck tension makes.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Gold Member

Re: Ahhhh, the differance a little neck tension makes.

The lee collet die has enough room in the shoulder to accomidate the AI configuration. You just need the stock, 25-06 die.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=117878

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...rodID=LEE90605

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...rodID=LEE90711

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...rodID=LEE90957

of course... these products are avalable from a number of sources as well...
As for the extra mandrels, just call their customer service(Lisa if memory serves me...), and tell them you want a couple of standard diameter manrdels, and a couple of undersized mandrels. Stock mandrels will usually net .001", undersized will get you .002", but a little polishing will get you any diameter you want. Chuck it in a drill, and polish with 600grit to the diameter, then finish with 1500 or 2000 and it will be super smooth.
If you don't have the stuff on hand you can send them here and ill do them for you gratis.
I usually do one at .001", .0015", .002", and .003". Occasionally ill order one larger... then polish it down to .0005", but thats usually only my tactic for soft seating VLDs... and even then, .001" usually does it.

Ill also occasionally snip the decapping pin from the mandrel to allow me to size primed brass... comes in handy when you want to experiment with different neck tensions loading at the range. Full prep on the brass, prime, and then size and seat at the range... it also lets em know if the primer pockets are too loose earlier in the batching process so I haven't invested a bunch of time trimming, chamfering, and otherwise processing cases that have bad primer pockets.

Oh, and one more thing... you can also use machine bushings between the shellholder and collet to controll the amount of the neck you want to size. Some like to do that loading... but it also comes in handy in removeing donuts from the neck... finding length for ogive contact to the lands... and a few others.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:38 PM
Bronze Member

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be curious to know what difference a further increase in neck tension would make

[/ QUOTE ]

Dosnt more tension on the neck start to become pointless after a point. The bullet will justs size the case to .002 to .003 any way.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I am sure it doesnt become pointless at some point, however I am sure at some point it will have a detrimental effect. Yes the bullet sizes the brass. That is the point. It will always size it to the same outside diamterer regardless of what the diameter is before you load it. It is how much you size the neck that will determine how much tension there will be on a loaded bullet.

There are no hard and fast rules here. I tried a differant powder with the 200 grain ACCUBOND and used the .004" that it loved so much with the other powder and accuracy was terrible. I tried .002 and presto. I got good accuracy again. So, what works with 1 combo wont work with another, even in the same rifle. This is where time and experimentation come in.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.