Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Ahhhh, the differance a little neck tension makes.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2006, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Ahhhh, the differance a little neck tension makes.

kraky,

You have illustrated to the "T" why my signature quote is what it is!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

[ QUOTE ]
Is this something that could make diffrence in factory riffle or do I need to have custom BR riffle to see diffrence?

[/ QUOTE ]

You never know what to expect with BR rifles or factory rifles. I have used concistent neck tension on factory rigs with excellent results. I just never played with them up and down.

One set of results might not work for all applications. Or any other for that matter. The best thing to do is try it and see. It is one more excuse to get you to the range!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:51 PM
Bronze Member

i find this interesting. I´m planing to buy me an Tikka T3 Tactical and i´m trying what factors are most important in realoading for factory riffles like this.

It comes with sub MOA guarantee from factory soo it is quite accurate for factory riffle.

Maybe it´s worth it to buy dies with this options for reloading, want to get the most accuracy from the rifle of course;)
Old 12-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Gold Member

and this is exactly the reason I tell people to get extra mandrels for the lee colet die... $5 each means $20 invested for each caliber to go from .0005" to .004"
Old 12-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Silver Member

Cooool, so I'm not the only one on here that uses (and believes in) the Lee collet neck sizing die? That dies just seems (to me) like the best design out there for achieving the end result that we're looking for doesn't it? Thanks!
Old 12-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Gold Member

You will find a lot of guys here that use it. used as it was intended it makes a very easy neck sizing die... but with the extra mandrels, you have all the versatility of the bushing style dies, at a fraction of the cost.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:47 AM

From what you guys are describing this Lee Collet die is exactly what I have been looking for. I have a .25-06AI with a tight neck .282. This works out to a case neck thickness of .011 if I have it figured right. I was just getting ready to order a set of Redding dies to reload for it but it looks like the Lee Collet die is the way to go but when I go to the web site it also looks like its a custom job so I need to fireform some cases first then send them two cases along with two bullets I intend to shoot. But it didn't say a thing about extra Mandrels. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
on the web site. This whole wildcat thing is beginning to drive me crazy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Almost making me wish I had just bought the gun in standard .25-06 and forgot the wildcat idea. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I already have about 100 cases with the necks turned down to .0105 to .011, kind of hard to get them exact and I also found that some were annealed better than others and that also made a differance in how I turned my case necks but I also found that the cases that were annealed the Forrester mandrel went in easier than it did on the ones that weren't. Thus telling me that the ID of the neck was bigger (probably from springing back durring resizing) than the ones that hadn't been annealed. Once I get a few fireformed I think I better start working on neck tension. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] That can be another matter.