Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Ahhhh, the differance a little neck tension makes.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2006, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ahhhh, the differance a little neck tension makes.

Interesting post. Thank you.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-18-2006, 07:41 AM
Silver Member

VERY INTERESTING!! By the way what caliber are you shooting. That RL data would seem real mild in a case that can hold 100 grain of bmg.....it must be an "accuracy load" you stumbled onto??
Old 12-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

I'd be curious to know what difference a further increase in neck tension would make.

I've always used .002"-.003" and have never diaviated from this amount. There are too many variables to check in the endless search for precision and various neck tensions is just one I haven't experimented with yet.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

kraky,

That is a very good observation you have there. It is a 300 RUM. The reason for the low RL-25 numbers is due to high pressures generated from the lack of case expansion because of the BR tight neck chamber in this rifle. With a 180 ACCUBOND, 90 grains yields a tad over 3300 FPS from a 27.25" tube. If I were to use normal data, I would have a bomb! This is the reason that I use H50BMG mostly. It is quite a bit slower than RL-25. I still dont get top velocities with it but I at least I can get a full case and I get 'good enough for me' velocities. 3200-3250 with the 178-180's with 100.0 grains and about 3125 with the 200 grain ACCUBOND at 96 grains. I really dont sacrifice much velocity using 50BMG and I eliminate one more variable by having a full case.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

[ QUOTE ]
There are too many variables to check in the endless search for precision

[/ QUOTE ]

That is so very true. A guy could spend 10 hours a day experimenting with differant thing in the endless pursuit of perfection and he may never find all the answers.

I too am curious if any more tension will improve accuracy or maybe even hurt it. I am ordering 2 more bushings and will report on those later.

[ QUOTE ]
and various neck tensions is just one I haven't experimented with yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may never have either. I stumbled on the idea when I didnt turn some necks correctly and ended up loading some with that dreaded donut inside the neck. I felt this when I seated the bullets. I thought awww what the heck, why not shoot em and see what happens as they all felt concistent during the seating proccess. When I shot them, accuracy at 300 was awesome. Obviously I could form an opinion based on one trip to the range so I bought the next size tighter bushing and tried it again. The results were the same. I have had the same results going back and forth over the last 10 or so trips to the range. Yesterday was the first time I had done a side by side comparison. Again, the results were the same.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Bronze Member

Is this something that could make diffrence in factory riffle or do I need to have custom BR riffle to see diffrence?
Old 12-18-2006, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

I had an interesting experience this fall. Was loading for a guys 7mm wsm browning autoloader. I got some hornaday dies and wow.....the case mouths were coming out at .276" opening. That's .008" grip. Bullets seated terribly hard and had lots of runnout. I thought....oh [censored]....my first job for my friend and these are gonna shoot really crappy.
2 of the 4 test loads went to 3/4" and almost all of them went to the same point of impact. I was amazed. So was he.
I contacted Hornady and they said that wsm brass necks are all over the place for thickness and that's why they are set up the way they are. Now we just withdraw the case over the expander,,,then raise it up over the expander.....and withdraw a couple of times while rotating the cases. That gives us .004" grip and good runnout. Now watch the accuracy go to hell?????!!!!! That's the fun of reloading....some of the stuff that slides together as smooth as butter shoots like crap.....then something that feels like you are virtually "hammering" it together shoots like a house of fire!!!!!!