Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Ahhhh, the differance a little neck tension makes.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2006, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Ahhhh, the differance a little neck tension makes.

After some experimenting recently playing around with neck tension I figured out that identical loads except for NT shoot differantly. I never thought .001-.002 NT made a hill of beans of differance on accuracy until now. Below are 4 pictures of 2 differant loads. My 200 ACCUBOND load and my 178 AMAX load. The only differance in the 2 groups of each is NT. The 200 AB used .003 and .004" NT and the 178 AMAX used .001 and .003" NT. These are not the only groups that have done this. Scince I have started playing around with NT, every time it has changed it. If I leave it alone, the groups stay the same whether good or great.

Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: Ahhhh, the differance a little neck tension makes.

Meichele,

Looks like a significant improvement.
Can I ask how you adjust neck tension. I assume you are using the "S" type dies for which you can oder various neck tension dies. These are the ones with the neck die that floats. Is this correct and if so, do you ever have trouble with concentricity (loaded bullet being out of round with case body).

Thank,
Vic
Old 12-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

i can see going from 1 to 3 NT making a little difference but i wouldn't have thought going from 3 to 4 would do much.did you say you've repeated this a couple of times? by the way, very impressive groups you have there.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Gold Member

Vic, The whole point of the neck bushing is to keep everything floating and centered. Assuming a centered neck in your chamber, the Redding dies will size correctly. Bullet seating allows a bullet to enter offline, which is why most use the benchrest Redding seating die. Run outs can be kept at .001 with care. I assume that you can get "too tight" with neck tension. According to Redding, .001 to .002 is OK, mainly neck tension just needs to keep the bullet from pulling during recoil. I would make a guess that the extra neck tension is allowing the primer/powder combe to burn more consistently. Not normally a problem in most loads?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Nice post, good shooting, thanks for sharing!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 12-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Vic,

[ QUOTE ]
Can I ask how you adjust neck tension. I assume you are using the "S" type dies for which you can oder various neck tension dies.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is correct. I use the Redding S neck sizer with differant bushings. I neck size after using a body die to full length size my brass.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Dave,

[ QUOTE ]
did you say you've repeated this a couple of times?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, many times with the same results. I dont know that the differance between .003 and .004" will make the same differance in every rifle, but at least in this one it does.