Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

affect of canelure on trajectory?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-28-2005, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member
Re: affect of canelure on trajectory?

The Barnes TSX bullets have 3 wide grooves which would certainly effect bullet flight more than a singule, small canalure. Barnes boasts some very high BC's for their bullets.

Just a thought.

Unread 09-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Bronze Member

Varmint Hunter: that was my thought when I first saw that new design of theirs as well.

So all, am I hearing you suggest that, if I want a boat tail designed bullet for the purpose I set out with, that I should either go w/ the standard 165 gr SPBT Interlock/Game King or step up to some bonded thing like the Interbond?

I'll likely step up to the Interbond, as the reason I'd wanted to go w/ a polymer tipped construction was the massive increase in BC.

Thanks a ton!
Unread 09-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

I'm not sure what your intended range of hunting is but don't be fooled into thinking there is "massive" differences in a polimer tipped bullets flight path at ranges out to say....400 yds. First off don't believe everything you read from manuafacturers re coefficients.
Think hard about going with a well constructed bullet for your intended use. Yes, if those interbonds do shoot good they will be ever so slightly flatter than say a nosler partition out to 400 yds---but I would bet a dollar that if the nosler partition shoots more accurate than the polimer tipped bullet it will shoot just as flat because it won't be losing ballistics while wobbling through the air. I've learned through ten years of reloading the hit you put on animal at longer range will be because of the accuracy of the bullet, your knowledge of gun trajectory, and your ability to estimate range. Accuracy will be the most important....not the type of tip or whether it has a bc of .450 or one of .500.
Unread 09-29-2005, 12:31 AM
Gold Member

EFW, Very hard for one bullet does all. The Nosler Accubond or the 168 gr TSX Barnes would fit your needs. Personally, I've stuck with the Barnes with excellent results. Depends on how many elk vs deer/antelope you really plan on hunting. If cost is not a factor, throw in the Swift Scorroco. High bc with a tough bullet. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]