Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

affect of canelure on trajectory?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Bronze Member

affect of canelure on trajectory?

I have been working up a load for my '06 that I can use as a "catch all," meaning anything from pronghorn to elk. The fact that I'd like to work up something capable of elk eliminated the Ballistic Tip which is too light in construction, so I went to the SST but am wondering about the Interbond... does the lack of cannelure have an appreciable affect on trajectory, enough to justify the extra $10/box in cost? I understand that the chemical bonding is what causes the increase in cost, but I am not particularly concerned about that at this point.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

Re: affect of canelure on trajectory?

At the velocities you will be shooting at in a 30-06, I would say a Nosler Partition would be the best you could shoot all-around. It has not failed my father in over 35 years, nor I in the 12 years I have used it. Taken game with it from .243, .25-06, 7mm RM, 708, 308, 3006, 300 WM, 338 WM. Absolutely no need for a bonded bullet in a .30-06. If you wanted to shoot a polymer-tipped bullet, pick either the Nosler AccuBond or Hornady InterBond for the retained weight you will need on the elk. m2c
Old 09-28-2005, 08:46 AM
Silver Member

DO NOT even think about using an sst on elk. It is as frangible or worse than the ballistic tip. We have used them on whitetail deer here in wisconsin and are getting huge holes and lots of bloodshot meat. While I'm sure it could kill an elk it simply isn't up to the task when bone and tough shots will be encountered.
I sincerely believe the interbond came about because Hornady knew the plastic tip on top of the well liked interlock(which is what the sst is) was causing much faster expansion that was desired on big game.
Re the cannelure affecting the flight of the bullet I can only think it would be so minimal it just wouldn't matter at all for any reasonable hunting ranges.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:10 AM

The canelure does cause a little turbulence and lowers the bc a little. For LR use a bullet with no canelure. In my experence the SST is just as fragile as the BT.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member

JB [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2005, 01:13 PM
Silver Member

nice shot jb! it looks like it has vanes like an arrow.it probably helps stabalize the wiggle. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

10-4 on the 165gr partition or AB
Old 09-28-2005, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
I have been working up a load for my '06 that I can use as a "catch all," meaning anything from pronghorn to elk. The fact that I'd like to work up something capable of elk eliminated the Ballistic Tip which is too light in construction, so I went to the SST but am wondering about the Interbond... does the lack of cannelure have an appreciable affect on trajectory, enough to justify the extra $10/box in cost? I understand that the chemical bonding is what causes the increase in cost, but I am not particularly concerned about that at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

The SST is much more explosive than a NBT from my experience an a couple others I load for. Opinion was based on how they performed on Whitetail deer.

The jacket would seperate at impact even at lower velocities and the bullets didn't exit on several. The NBTs seem to hold together and exit due to the thicker jacket and solid base. I've only used the NBTs on pigs and deer but, I know some guys that have loved them on elk(the heavy for cal versions). I've already seen two Moose hammered w/ NBTs on "The Outdoor Channel" this year, both one shot kills.

The only three NBTs I've ever seen not exit an animal were on two raking shots on bucks over 200 pounds and both of those were nicely mushroomed under the far hide in front of the rear ham (Nice Mushrooms) and the third on a HUGE 500 pound cornfield Boar. The boar dropped and bullet made it to the far shield. All three of those were high velocity impacts(.284 140s & 150... 3210fps, 3110 fps).

If you want expansion go w/ a NBT. If Elk are on the menu, I'd go w/ AB/IB.

Good Luck!

Reloader