Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Advice wanted on my sizing / brass usage.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2005, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Advice wanted on my sizing / brass usage.

[ QUOTE ]
your 308 brass should last 15 firings or more.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, that is what I was thinking. I know my .223 stuff is holding up better than this and I use small base dies for it.

[ QUOTE ]
most of this stuff is made by Redding or Wilson not hornady,rcbs or tonka

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted Hornady accidentaly at first but I edited it to Lee which is what I meant.

I agree I need to make the next step and start ordering from places like Sinclair and stop shopping the local hunting and fishing store for the best bargain.

Old 03-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
but I know how hard it is to pitch brass in the garbage after you just spent 25 minutes per case prepping the Win brass.

[/ QUOTE ]

No big deal. I will use it for the non critical plinker and reduced loads untill it is expired.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Silver Member

4ked Horn,

First of all, I have been reloading safely for 35 years and for the last 5 years have been reloading extensively for several relatives (and myself) that do a fair amount of pd hunting. (over 30 lbs of powder last year) In reloading for all of these different guns I have developed some techniques and observations that I would like to share with you. I have developed a way to keep track of the exact number of times a case has been fired so you can start getting an idea of brass life in each of your rifles. It is quite simple.

I score the case heads with an old sharpened screw driver. Each score mark represents one firing of the case. My reloading regime starts with marking the case heads, then I proceed to the next step. (In this case I removed the primer to make the score marks easier to see)

The first photo shows a case that has been fired 3 times. I drill holes in my bench to hold the cases for marking. The second photo is of the ergonomically designed tool to do the marking and various holes for the cases to fit in upside down for marking.

Using this method you will be able to tell just how many times a case has been fired.

Also some observations. Each rifle (chamber) is a story in and of itself. No one but you can tell what the brass life will be with each of your guns. By keeping track of the firings and watching for splits, cracks, etc., you will eventually get an idea of how many times you can reload a case for THAT chamber.

As others have stated FLR can decrease the life of brass. But I would guess most of the stretch in your cases is coming from when the round is fired. FLR alone does not stretch the case web. This stretching indicates the live round is lose in the chamber for what ever reason, and the solutions for this are listed above.

If you feel you must FLR, I would not buy "high end" brass. The brass you are using is not the problem. A significant outlay of cash will not (in all likelyhood) significantly increase the number of loadings you will get. I use WW brass when ever possible, but have used RP, FC and PMC and have found them servicable as well.

BTW, for all of the 22-250s I load for, I neck size for 4-5 loadings, FLR and then neck size again for a total of 10 firings. After the 10th I discard the case. A lot of experience has told me that after the 11th loading "things" can happen and I don't want them happening on the prairie. (But once again, this has been my experience)

Jim
Old 03-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

That is a great idea. Simple enough that I wonder why I had not thought of it myself.

I do think I have a large chamber for the caliber since after firing my brass has a slight bulge on one side of the case right at the top of the web area. It is a very small bulge but it is visible to the eye. This is why I was thinking that neck dies would benefit me in both saving brass costs and in improving accuracy.

Thanks for your suggestion. I like the "ergonomically designed" engraving tool. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2005, 08:41 PM

What kind of brass is it? I use lake city brass and if I could get 5 shots per piece I would be happy. Try anniling the mouth that seems to make a cart. last a little longer.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of brass is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Quite some time ago I bought a batch of winchester .308 win brass. I have full length..."

[ QUOTE ]
Try annealing the mouth that seems to make a cart. last a little longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

"The problem I am having is web thinning. I have been told that each time the brass is FL resized the brass will flow toward the mouth of the case and that if ignored this will (obviously) lead to case head separation."

[ QUOTE ]
I use lake city brass and if I could get 5 shots per piece I would be happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

My .223 brass is just a bulk mix of brands and a good share of it is wearing an L.C. headstamp. I have been quite happy with this stuff even though this gets fully sized every time with a "small base" die for shooting out of my Mini 14. Who knows?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:21 PM

Might want to anile the case after 4 shot. That seems to soften up brittle case necks for me.