Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Advice please on my finicky .308...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Bronze Member

Advice please on my finicky .308...

I have been tinkering on and off with a .308 for about a year. It is a 20" heavy barreled savage with 1x10" twist. I have tried several loads using 125 TNT's, 155 MK's, and 168 Hornady match. Surprisingly, the TNT's have given me the most consistant results! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I have tried different powders, seating depths, ect. and I still get very inconsistant results. Some groups shoot 3/4 moa and the next will open right up. It just doesn't seem to like much I've fed it. Is this because it has a short barrel? or have I just not found would it likes? I have some 175 MK's on order and hope to give them a try next week. Any suggestions? I had the best luck with Benchmark with the 125 TNT's, and tried BM, Varget, and 4064 with the 155's and varget and 4064 with the 168's. Where do I go next?
Old 01-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Advice please on my finicky .308...

Hmmmmmm,

So far nothings worked, correct?

I'd check some mechanical things about the rifle.

Mess this the receiver screws and see if you can "feel" or notice any movement as they are alternately loosened and tightened.

Ensure barrel isn't is bedded properly. 20" incher otta be fully free floated, I'd think.

Thoro cleaning clear down to the metal. All copper and powder residue gone. Then look down the bore and see if you can see any anomalies. Maybe there's a gopher hole down there someplace. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Check the crown. Was the original barrel length 20"?

After a good hard "look over" and there's nothing obvious then look at the scope and mounts.

After all of that then look at the reloads. Are they straight regarding roll out.

The above ought to take quite a while. If nothing noted by then, you can go to the next step. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Bronze Member

Sorry if I was unclear, the rifle is bedded in a Stockade gunstocks stock with barrel completely floated. The original lenght is 20" and the crown "looks" fine. I've checked the action screws and no binding or anything unusual. Had the scope off and checked the bases/rings. I clean it with shooters choice and Kroil after about 20 shots. I would assume that it is the loads? (assumption is the mother of all screw ups, I know [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]) I don't know what else to do, except try a different bullet weight all together. I have had some success in getting the 125 TNT's to fly consistant (3/4-1 moa) but not great, the other bullet weights are just not consistant.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Try benchmark with the 168's , bout 42gns will be close.

JB
Old 01-12-2006, 12:50 PM

I'm no expert, but I have been working on a 308 that I bought a while back. And to take my handloading out of the equation, I bought a couple of boxes of Federal Gold Medal Match.It gave me sort of a baseline. Have you tried any foctory match ammo?
Old 01-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Bronze Member

No, I have not bought any factory match ammo-kinda against my religion [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Maybe I'll give that a try. I just haven't bought any factory rifle ammo in years.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:27 PM

Duff, I'm with you 100%. I do all my hunting and shooting with hand loads. I just wanted to give myself some idea of what the rifle could do. It gave me something to shoot for. It shot well with the GMM. I have been able to do a little better with hand loads and am still working on it.
Good luck.
BP