Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

ADVICE PLEASE: Finding a accurate load

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 12:58 PM

ADVICE PLEASE: Finding a accurate load

I know how to find a accurate load but, my question is, if I change the bullet seating dept, it change the dynamics in the cartridge. Does that mean that I have to fire a whole range of different loads again to establish the best accuracy with that seating depth?
Also do I have to go through the whole process if I change to another make of cartridge case or bullet make.
It sounds crazy if I have to go through the whole process every time I try another bullet make while trying to find the most accurate one for my rifle.

I have just ordered myself a 700 sendero in 300 win mag and would hate to put so many rounds thru a new barrel just to find a accurate load.

Any help appreciated.
Thank you guys
Old 05-30-2013, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: ADVICE PLEASE: Finding a accurate load

It has been my experience that you don't have to change the powder charge when using different seating depths unless you are on the ragged edge of pressure to start with.

It has also been in my experience that you can change bullet makers as long as you keep the same grain weight of bullet with cup and core bullets. With the mono bullets like the Barns etc. you need to back off on the powder.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Gold Member

first of all, be wary of "advice" from the net. that being said, I would suggest using the reloading manuals suggested "accuracy" load data, and work up from there. Changing bullet mfg. can change pressure which will change "accuracy", as can changes in primer/brass/etc. The bullet mfg's have good data, use it to start with.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBULLET View Post
first of all, be wary of "advice" from the net. that being said, I would suggest using the reloading manuals suggested "accuracy" load data, and work up from there. Changing bullet mfg. can change pressure which will change "accuracy", as can changes in primer/brass/etc. The bullet mfg's have good data, use it to start with.

YUP!
Old 05-30-2013, 04:44 PM

Always use the reloading manuals for STARTING loads and work up your loads a "LITTLE AT A TIME & CHECK ALL BRASS FOR LENGTH,CRACKS, & the primer hole for ANY signs of wear!

Bob
Old 05-30-2013, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with the prior posts but also think that you can get pretty close to an accurate load by searching or asking for inputs on this site for the caliber/rifle you are using. It helps if you can figure out the max range you intend to shoot and a bullet preference. I just went through this looking for load info for my Rem 700 Mil spec in 300WM and found an excellent load with minimal testing. I agree that all chambers tend to be different, but you can still see a lot of commonality in the proven loads that are being used by experienced shooters.IMO

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 05-31-2013, 05:32 AM

Would it be a fair assumption that if I find a reasonably accurate load, then by staying very close to that velocity range while trying different bullet makes, should lead me to the best combination.
This is my first 300 win mag so I will be using new brass, which lead me to another question, perhaps only after the second fire will the brass reach its maximum internal capacity. I read that very small changes result in a big reaction.
Is there merit in my way of thinking or am I fretting too much.
I will be loading 168 grain bullets with the intention to hunt out to 500 yards.

Thanks guys