Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

advice for getting into reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Silver Member

Re: advice for getting into reloading

Lee Precision
Old 08-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Bronze Member

as you no doubt can see, everyone has their favorite system. Be it Lee, RCBS, Redding, Lyman, Dillon, or whatever, they all pretty much do a decent job of letting you combine multiple elements into a working, accurate round. Some do certain things better than others, but they all work.

Invest what you think is necessary, look at all the options, start with a single stage press, buy good dies (my prejudices aside, RCBS has about the best warranty out there for dies and presses) but the others are as good, read several manuals and check out the websites for your bullets and powders - they quite often have valuable insights and reload data - and take your time.

if you have questions, most everyone here can help and would relish the opportunity to pass on years of experience and knowledge.

Stay safe,
Rick
Old 08-23-2012, 07:46 AM
Bronze Member

thanks, to all! think i'll get the kit emn83 referenced, then purchase add. items, as needed.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

That is not a kit that he listed in his post. He got the kit I suggested in mine and then he went with Forster dies, etc. Maybe that's what you meant. I also use Forster dies and highly recommend them.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterboud View Post
thanks, to all! think i'll get the kit emn83 referenced, then purchase add. items, as needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
That is not a kit that he listed in his post. He got the kit I suggested in mine and then he went with Forster dies, etc. Maybe that's what you meant. I also use Forster dies and highly recommend them.
Just to clarify, like Topgun 30-06 siaid, what I listed was not the original kit, but what I am currently using.

The Rockchucker kit is a very good kit for starting out, all you need to buy is a shell holder (I recommend buying 2 for each size) and dies and you are set.

I added the OAL guage, Forster case trimmer and the Forster seater die later, because I am starting to get into more precise reloading. My next step will be to get the Forster Bushing die for sizing.

I am fairly new to reloading too, so I'm learning too, but am more than willing to share my experiences as a new reloader, both good and bad. Good luck and have fun!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Silver Member

I really recommend doing quite a bit of research (that means reading), then you can start asking more specific questions. . start with an upfront section of a reloading manual like Sierra or Nosler - it is relatively easy, but there is always stuff you want to watch out for, that we would not be able to catch ..
check this link out:

Reloading 101: Reloading basics for the new reload - Sniper's Hide Forums

good luck / its addicting !
Old 08-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Bronze Member

thanks for all of the input. perhaps i should have been more clear of my intent, as i still have many reloaded rounds, that should last some time. really just wanted a list of tools/etc for the future, and mainly for insurance against outrageous ammo costs(ridiculous now). so, in the mail as we speak are: RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit, lyman case trimmer(kit), powder trickler. i guess i'll still need: cleaning media/tumbler/ and ..........? this stuff will sit, possibly for quite a long time, until i really need to reload, so quite a bit of time will be available for reading reloading books(at the deer lease, mid-day in the blind, etc) before operation. the attached link "Reloading Basix: " is just what i needed, thanks for referencing it.