Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Advice for fine tuning my loads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Advice for fine tuning my loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdslammer View Post
I'll check out the DVD you mentioned.

I have the bullet seated at the manuals recomendation of 3.681. Do you think
I should seat even further down? Won't this compress the load or not?

Good suggestion re: the Chargemaster. I'll take the necessary steps to enure
even a more accurate load if I possibly can.

Thanks again.

Mark
Compressing the powder will be determined by the powder you're using and the charge. Is it slightly compressed with your current seating depth?

Another variable that you could play with would be powder itself. I was instructed to use Retumbo in mine, so that's what I started with and still using.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
Compressing the powder will be determined by the powder you're using and the charge. Is it slightly compressed with your current seating depth?

Another variable that you could play with would be powder itself. I was instructed to use Retumbo in mine, so that's what I started with and still using.
SB,

Right now seated at 3.681, it is NOT compressed. I'm using Hodgdon H-1000 -92gr. for the Berger 300gr.
I tried Retumbo. It was OK but not as good as H-1000 IMHO.

I think maybe, in addition to everything that's been suggested so far, I may
reduce the amount of powder incrementally. Maybe by doing so I can get even
tighter groups at 100 yds.

I chrono'd my loads this past Monday. All with Lapua Brass, Fed. 215 Primers and H-1000 powder.

SMK 250gr. / 100gr. seated at 3.680 / 3215 fps (this was a good load as far as groups)
Berger 250gr. / 100gr. / .010 off lands / 3155 FPS (not good grouping)
Berger 300gr. / 92gr. / .020 & .025 off lands (groups were so-so) 2850 FPS
Old 11-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

How many rounds did you chrono of each load?
What was the ES for the best grouping load?

Reason I ask is that if just one round out of every 6 is 60'/sec faster than the majority, that would equate to over 4' of vertical at a mile.

Shawns' video goes over some tips on how to reduce neck tension variance and improve extreme velocity spreads too. You can buy it on this site from the LR store.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
How many rounds did you chrono of each load?
What was the ES for the best grouping load?

Reason I ask is that if just one round out of every 6 is 60'/sec faster than the majority, that would equate to over 4' of vertical at a mile.

Shawns' video goes over some tips on how to reduce neck tension variance and improve extreme velocity spreads too. You can buy it on this site from the LR store.

I did 5 rounds for 6 different loads I had.
Not sure what ES is?
Old 11-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I did 5 rounds for 6 different loads I had.
Not sure what ES is?
ES is the extreme velocity spread between all shots fired. Difference between the slowest and the fastest. This is a vital thing to control when shooting beyond 1/2 mile, and especially at 1 mile.

Even just 30'/sec ES will give 2' vertical in our groups at a mile. That's not considering shooter error and anything else but one shot going 30'/sec faster or slower than a previous one.

Next time out with the crono, might try shooting 10 or 12 shots just to see if you're getting a wild velocity every 6 or so.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
ES is the extreme velocity spread between all shots fired. Difference between the slowest and the fastest. This is a vital thing to control when shooting beyond 1/2 mile, and especially at 1 mile.

Even just 30'/sec ES will give 2' vertical in our groups at a mile. That's not considering shooter error and anything else but one shot going 30'/sec faster or slower than a previous one.

Next time out with the crono, might try shooting 10 or 12 shots just to see if you're getting a wild velocity every 6 or so.

Thanks SB for the info and suggestion. I will try it next time I chrono my loads.

Best.

Mark
Old 11-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks SB for the info and suggestion. I will try it next time I chrono my loads.

Best.

Mark
You're welcome, Good Luck.