Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading


Reply

Advice for fine tuning my loads

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 126
Advice for fine tuning my loads

I'm loading for my Savage BA110 .338 Lapua Magnum.

Berger 300gr. OTM Hybrid Tactical
H-1000 - 92gr.
Lapua Brass
Federal 215M Primer
C.O.A.L. 3.681

I tried seating from .005 to .025 off the lands. The groups just got wider the
closer I got to the lands. My rifle seems to like the bullet seated at 3.681.

Anyway, today I was shooting a mile. I had 9 hits out of 30 rounds. Not bad.
So my rounds for the most part were either on target or slightly off by a few feet.
Then, I'll have a flyer that misses by 8' up and over (either right or left). Then
I'll have another 5 or 6 rounds that are back to being on or very close.

Now I'm taking into consideration it's probably me being the cause of this but...
maybe there's something I'm not doing during my reloading process that would make my loads more consistent.

I use an RCBS Chargemaster Scale. It dispenses 92.0 grains everytime for the charge. I use Lapua Brass and Federal Primers for all the loads.

I seat all the bullets to OAL 3.681/3.680 depth.

So that leaves the bullet. What can I look for or do to make sure they are all uniform? Supposedly they all weigh 300gr. So that leaves me
to believe maybe there maybe some issue with the overall length of each bullet? Or?

Or would there be any inconsistencies with the brass? If so, what to look for
or do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just started reloading not 3 months back so I'm quite new at this.

Regards.

MDslammer / Mark
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Thunder Basin, WY
Posts: 1,788
Re: Advice for fine tuning my loads

Wow, just been handloading for a few months and already on to 1 mile shooting? Nothin like throwing yourself to the wolves!

How long have you been shooting long range? What kind of groups do you see your load shoot at 500 yds, or 1000 yds or 1300 yds?

Without more info, I'd say first thing to do is get your load tuned in at a closer target. Unless you've been shooting LR for many years, tons of problems can surface at 1 mile. Some might be load, some rifle, some shooter, some rest, some wind..........the list goes on and on.
__________________
Aim small = Miss small
SBruce

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 836
Re: Advice for fine tuning my loads

A mile is a long ways out there. Many things can affect POI. A puff of wind can move you quite a bit. So can the rest you use, how you hold each shot. But you know this if you shoot long range. The brass should be good. The bullets should be also very good. You can however measure the bullets ogive and weigh them even true the hollowpoint. You can also try a different primer even though the 215Ms should be very consistant. Flyers happen at any distance to just about everyone. You could mark the cases with the flyers and see if they do the same next time they're fired, but I doubt it.
db
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Thunder Basin, WY
Posts: 1,788
Re: Advice for fine tuning my loads

The easiest way to answer some of your questions would be to recommend a DVD.

Shawn Carlock is very good at extreme long range shooting, and he's made a DVD titled Reloading for Long Range Hunting It's a good video and it shows the techniques he uses when loading ammo for the 338 Edge (very similar to the 338 Lapua).

Even further in depth, there are certain benchrest techniques that ensure the brass and bullets are at utmost consistancy/precision. However, some of these techniques are simply a waste of time with a factory rifle IMO. The added accuracy will never be realized because the rifle/barrel/crown is still the last thing the bullet touches before its flight, no matter how good the ammo is.


Could try seating those hybrids even further back from the lands. They are not supposed to be as picky as the VLD's on seating depth.

I'd also ensure nothing else is happening on the bench when the chargemaster is dispensing powder. Heard tale that bench movement or vibration can throw it off. Also heard tale that electrical voltage variance can throw them off. Do you live in an area that's got good electricity without any lights flickering ever? I don't, so I use a beam scale and trickle well within 1/10 grn every charge.

Again, tons and tons of possibilities. a mile is so damn far, most folks get their loads shooting as tight as possible at 1000 yds before attempting the mile stuff. I am not saying you didn't, I just dont know what you've tried and haven't tried.

Best of luck.
__________________
Aim small = Miss small
SBruce

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 126
Re: Advice for fine tuning my loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
Wow, just been handloading for a few months and already on to 1 mile shooting? Nothin like throwing yourself to the wolves!

How long have you been shooting long range? What kind of groups do you see your load shoot at 500 yds, or 1000 yds or 1300 yds?

Without more info, I'd say first thing to do is get your load tuned in at a closer target. Unless you've been shooting LR for many years, tons of problems can surface at 1 mile. Some might be load, some rifle, some shooter, some rest, some wind..........the list goes on and on.
I've been shooting LR/ELR for about 7 months.

I don't shoot the .338 anything less than 1000yds. I tested some loads yesterday at 100 yds. The bullets seated from .005K to .025K were not too good. My rifle seemed to shoot the best with the manual recomendations of 3.681. The group was the tightes with this seating. Likes more jump.

I'm sure a lot falls on me, the shooter. I'm a novice at best. Been shooting rifles for only 2 years. Started with my Remmy .308 and then the BA110 .338 last year.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 126
Re: Advice for fine tuning my loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhostler View Post
A mile is a long ways out there. Many things can affect POI. A puff of wind can move you quite a bit. So can the rest you use, how you hold each shot. But you know this if you shoot long range. The brass should be good. The bullets should be also very good. You can however measure the bullets ogive and weigh them even true the hollowpoint. You can also try a different primer even though the 215Ms should be very consistant. Flyers happen at any distance to just about everyone. You could mark the cases with the flyers and see if they do the same next time they're fired, but I doubt it.
db
Brass: I use nothing but Lapua and Federal 215M Magnum Primers
Berger Bullets / OTM Hybrid TAC. Both 250gr. and 300gr. I have used SMK 250gr. with good luck but I think the Bergers fly a littler better for my rifle.

Good suggestion measuring the ogive and I'll make sure about the weight and
length while am at it.

Good suggestion marking the case/flyers.

Thanks.

Mark
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 126
Re: Advice for fine tuning my loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
The easiest way to answer some of your questions would be to recommend a DVD.

Shawn Carlock is very good at extreme long range shooting, and he's made a DVD titled Reloading for Long Range Hunting It's a good video and it shows the techniques he uses when loading ammo for the 338 Edge (very similar to the 338 Lapua).

Even further in depth, there are certain benchrest techniques that ensure the brass and bullets are at utmost consistancy/precision. However, some of these techniques are simply a waste of time with a factory rifle IMO. The added accuracy will never be realized because the rifle/barrel/crown is still the last thing the bullet touches before its flight, no matter how good the ammo is.


Could try seating those hybrids even further back from the lands. They are not supposed to be as picky as the VLD's on seating depth.

I'd also ensure nothing else is happening on the bench when the chargemaster is dispensing powder. Heard tale that bench movement or vibration can throw it off. Also heard tale that electrical voltage variance can throw them off. Do you live in an area that's got good electricity without any lights flickering ever? I don't, so I use a beam scale and trickle well within 1/10 grn every charge.

Again, tons and tons of possibilities. a mile is so damn far, most folks get their loads shooting as tight as possible at 1000 yds before attempting the mile stuff. I am not saying you didn't, I just dont know what you've tried and haven't tried.

Best of luck.
I'll check out the DVD you mentioned.

I have the bullet seated at the manuals recomendation of 3.681. Do you think
I should seat even further down? Won't this compress the load or not?

Good suggestion re: the Chargemaster. I'll take the necessary steps to enure
even a more accurate load if I possibly can.

Thanks again.

Mark
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Advice for fine tuning my loads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fine Tuning @ 1300 jackem Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) 25 11-05-2012 12:32 AM
Tuning the Tac 15 ablebakercharlie PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum 4 08-05-2011 04:00 PM
Fine-tuning load AND rifle. Joaquin B Long Range Hunting & Shooting 7 06-03-2010 11:55 AM
advice on 338 rum loads with 250gr to 300gr 26in barrel AJ338rum Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 0 07-11-2006 09:21 PM
Need FACTORY LOADS or a Small Custom Loader? Advice PLEASE???? superlite17 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 3 11-09-2005 03:02 PM

Current Poll
Where in the US do you live?
West of the Mississippi River - 61.09%
928 Votes
East of the Mississippi River - 36.67%
557 Votes
On the Mississippi River on a houseboat - 2.24%
34 Votes
Total Votes: 1,519
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC