Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Advice on bullet seating depth Berger 95 grain hybrid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 10:33 AM

Re: Advice on bullet seating depth Berger 95 grain hybrid

Dakota1tn

Thanks for the reply. Eventually I will post my results. I am still waiting on a back order for large rifle primers before I can start.

Robert
Old 03-08-2013, 10:43 AM

Good luck with getting the primers. Theres none to be found around here! Luckly I have about 1500.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:56 AM

dakota1tn

It is amazing. I went into my local store and there was only one container of powder left on the shelf and all the ammunition was nearly sold out - even 416 Rigby!! I was fortuante enough to fnd one box of CCI primers and one box of Nosler 85 grain ammunition for base testing.

I am getting low on small pistol primers which is concerning since I shoot in competition.

Even Eley pistol match which I use in 22lr is sold out as well as Tenex which is really expensive. I have never seen that before.

I was going order new supplies around Christmas but spent that money on my wife and then chaos occurred. I read where since the Obama initiative over 70 millions firearms have been purchased.

Robert
Old 03-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbeau;775288[SIZE=3
] I have an older Berger manual that was published before the new hunter hybrids came out . I must admit I have been too cheap to buy the new Berger manual[/SIZE]
Berger only has 1 manual out
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 03-09-2013, 07:07 AM
Platinum Member

Hi merbeau.

I think everyone wants to help and they all have their versions on what works. You could simplify things.

You discovered where the bullet just kisses the rifling. Good to know as a reference.

Here is what I suggest for the hybrid:

Seat the bullet so it fits and feeds from magazine. Don't worry about the jump to rifling. IME most rifles will shoot just fine with a random seating depth. Make a dummy round with bullet seated that depth for future reference.

Load 6 rounds per powder charge incrementally increasing powder charge weight by 1 grain. Load charges up to suggested max from published charges listed on line for hodgdon or Alliant etc.

Go to the range and shoot three rounds at every target. Allow your barrel to cool to ambient temp as needed. As you get near the top end loads be aware that you could get some signs of pressure. Hard bolt lift, flattened primers, shiny spot on case head etc. (read up on signs of pressure). If rifle is sound you should find a one charge weight that gives the tightest group. Shoot three more rounds at the tighter targets. Choose the best load and shoot them a few more times on different days with a clean bore to verify you have a good load. At this point you may be done!

If necessary you can alter the seating depth of the best load by incrementally seating the bullet deeper in the case in .005" increments. This can be a real PITA if you don't have a competition seating die.
The problem is duplicating that seating depth later. If you don't remove your comparator from your caliper you can reference those values. Otherwise you will have to make a dummy for each increment to reference later.

Many of the hybrid loads I have made never needed a change in seating depth. Have loaded for 11 rifles with hybrids to date and only one required seating depth changes to tighten groups.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Ask questions anytime.

Ross
Old 03-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Gold Member

Robert, your description of the bullet does not match anything that Berger has on their website.

So do you mean "95 gr Match Grade Classic Hunter" part # 24570 ? 6mm 95 Grain Match Classic Hunter

Because if it is not that bullet you are unlikely to have success with any of the other 95 grainers in your 1:10 twist barrel.

I tried the "95 gr Match Grade VLD Hunting #24527" in my Savage 12 26" 1:9.25 barrel and they would not group better than 2" at 100 yards. I ran the calculation on the Berger website http://www.bergerbullets.com/litz/TwistRuleAlt.php and it confirmed the stability problem because of my twist rate. If you are shooting at much higher ambient temperatures and higher elevation (my parameters are 20F and 1000' asl) then your result may be better.

In the meantime I have a new Shilen 26" 1:8 chambered in 243 AI and it shoots the 95gr VLD's in 1/2" at 100 yards, capable of better since 2 of the 3 were touching and that is not even with a final load, thats while fireforming brass to the AI chamber. It will also shoot the 105gr VLD's and it sounds like it will shoot the 115gr DTAC bullets also. But the BC of the DTAC is close to the 105gr VLD so I might stick to the lighter one for now.

If you can shoot these bullets with a decent jump to the lands, it is better. First of all, it is safer for the case that you may need to unchamber a round after an unsuccessful hunt and leaving a bullet stuck in the barrel and the action full of powder is not a good thing. Particularly if you need to shoot a few seconds later and didn't realize the bullet was still in the bore... Secondly, having a bullet make a jump to the lands will lower your peak pressures and potentially allow higher max loads with less sensitivity. Max loads with bullets jammed into the lands could be far more sensitive to ambient temperature.

So specialized shooting sports like Benchrest may demand such a load configuration, but in general, one wants to avoid jamming the bullet into the lands under normal hunting conditions if at all possible. For berger bullets, jamming is a less reliable way to get repeatable loads and jumping is more consistent and today the recommended approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbeau View Post
Hi

I am trying to build a load for my older Browning Safari in 243 caliber that has a 1:10 twist rate. I have selected the Berger 95 grain BTHP hybrid bullet as my starting point. I am using Nosler brass.

Thanks

Robert
Old 03-09-2013, 07:16 PM

Ok, I am looking at the 2 boxes of bullets from Berger. The box reads 6mm 95 grain BTHP classic Hunter. G1 BC 0.427 and for 1 in 10: twist or faster. 100 CT. Lot 5185.

As far as the manual, I received a PDF file from Berger that was considered their manual at that point in time. Berger indicated they were working on a formal manual and would be released in the future which obviously has occurred..

In my mind with over several weeks of reading there seems to be two parts to the accuracy issue macro and micro. Macro variables would be those in which a change will make a significant improvement in accuracy. For example, going from a 2 moa group with factory ammunition to a 1 moa group by selected evaluation of various powders. Micro to me would be small changes on the order of 0.1 moa or less like cleaning primer pockets. For a bench shooter at long 1000 yd distances those micro changes can make the difference between winning and losing a match. For a person shooting at nominal distances from 100 to 300 yards and overal all less than 600 yards probably not so much.