Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Advice on bullet seating depth Berger 95 grain hybrid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 06:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Advice on bullet seating depth Berger 95 grain hybrid

Go to Sinclair and get a bullet comparator nut which will measure from the ogive to the head of the case while it rests on lower arm of your caliper. Load a dummy round to that length, clean the bullet with 0000 steel wool, run it in the chamber, and slowly extract. Look closely for small contact marks from the lands. Write it down, that will be your kissing point. You can further jump or jam bullets from that point as needed.

My 6BR Dasher likes the 105 gr. hybrid bullet to be jumped .015". Many others report the hybrids like to be jumped.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:28 AM

ShootnMathews

From an initial literature search it seems that IMR 4064 and 4350 are most often mentioned, however, H4831 comes up quite frequently. I am guessing because these powders have been around for a long time whereas some of the others such as Varget are newer additions.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:32 AM

Gene

Ok that is great information. At least there is a tool, a source and technique.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

Your going to find that the Classic hunters are very forgiving about seating depth. In my experience with then them, they just shoot well, I don't believe I've seen a group yet that measure MOA or larger with them through out the load workup.

Your not going to find much info on these bullets as they first hit the stores last Sept. My adives is find a seating depth that allows for magazine use the follow "Dan Newberries OCW" process.

When I worked up a load for them in my 243 last fall I had all of 2 weeks to get it done so I used a different method that gave me a good load in less than 20rnds (IIRC it was 12)
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 03-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

merbeau,
You need to get yerself one of the reloading manuals, it will give you all of the data you require, including reloading techniques, etc. Try emailing Berger and they may send you data for the .243.. they did for me..
be careful, its addicting..

Loading Manual | Berger Bullets
Old 03-08-2013, 07:42 AM

Ok, I have an older Berger manual that was published before the new hunter hybrids came out and three others Sierra, Speer and Norma that I have used for loading all of my pistol calibers (32 SW long, 32 ACP, 380 ACP, 38 special and 45 ACP and 9mm). I must admit I have been too cheap to buy the new Berger manual with all the money being spent on rifle reloading supplies. I have emailed Berger; however, have not received a reply as of today - 8 March 2013. They may inundated just like every other provider in the market today.

I did read the article by Dan Newberry and he seems to indicate to find a length that still will allow your magazine to function and somewhat downplays the importance of seating depth.

I have been amazed at all of the literature and variables for rifle shooting much more so than for pistol. And the arguments over many of these variables such as case weight are on opposite sides of the spectrum whether or not it is important to accuracy. I was reading a debate on case weight on another forum where two authors started name-calling each other over the issue.

The bullet comparator came in today and I used the suggestion of polishing the bullet with steel wool and reinserting it into the rifle. I looked on the bullet and very faint lines could be seen. I then placed the blank round into the comparator and the caliper read 2.1571 inches. So is this the starting depth in which to vary the seating?

Last edited by merbeau; 03-08-2013 at 07:44 AM. Reason: paragraph spacing
Old 03-08-2013, 09:21 AM

That is your starting point. Now load a couple at that depth to shoot and start backing of .005 at a time you will most likely find the sweet spot with 40 thousands.