Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

advanced reloading techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Silver Member

advanced reloading techniques

I'm going on my first elk rifle hunt in October to New Mexico. I'm new to reloading and want to get proficient as quickly as possible. I'm having a new match grade barrel put on my Winchester model 70 300 win mag by Elk Meadow Performance. He mentioned getting a primer pocket uniformer and a flash hole deburrer as a MUST. Where can I get information on advanced reloading techniques that will allow me to reload the most accurate reloads possible??? What additional equipment do I need beyond the basic reloading kit which I already have???

I'm 62 years old, so I don't have 20 years to experiment with reloading to get accurate rounds. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

Re: advanced reloading techniques

There are a lot of ways to skin a cat and that is particularly true of reloading. You can learn a lot right here by reading through various threads and doing some searches. Some weigh and sort brass and some don't. Some weigh and sort bullets and some don't. Some measure bullet bearing surface and sort and some don't. Some FL size and some neck size. Some turn necks and some don't. Some anneal and some don't.

Uniforming pockets and deburring flash holes is probably a good idea. I do it. I usually don't trim to length until after the first firing to avoid taking off excessive neck. I like them as long as possible. I do weigh my brass (after trimming) to put them in different lots. I.e., the 50 heaviest in one lot and the 50 lightest in another. I do the same with bullets.

I started out not turning necks and then started turning necks and now I'm back to not turning them. I started out FL sizing, then went to neck sizing and now back to FL sizing which seems to get me less runout. The trick is you must lube the inside of the neck so the expander comes up through with little resistance. When done right I can get less than .001 runout consistently. With neck sizing, I getting about .002-.004 runout. I work the lever slowly. If you want a good product, don't be in a hurry.

I highly recommend competition type seaters with VLD type seating plugs. Sometimes doing a partial seat to get it started, then turning the case about 180* will get them straighter. I find it this varies between bullet types. Having a runout gauge is very helpful. I like my Sinclair very much.

I use Lyman brass prep tools, flash hole deburrer, uniformer, chamfer, pocket cleaner. I had the RCBS and they sucked IMO, except the chamfer tool.

Hope that helps.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax1800 View Post
Where can I get information on advanced reloading techniques that will allow me to reload the most accurate reloads possible???
'Handloading for Competition'

Zediker Publishing
Old 05-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Silver Member

Hand Loading for Long Range 1: Brass Prep
best info I've found
Old 05-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

IMO if your brass has more than 3 or 4 reloads on it annealing is essential for consistent neck tension. Another important "step" is to make sure you have consistant seating depths, within .001" from one round to another.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 05-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Bronze Member

Precision Shooting Reloading Guide! It's a spiral bound book.
Picked it up at Cabelas. Full of good information and explanations of how to do certain techniques used for extreme accuracy.
You could also get the Defensive Edge "Reloading For Long Range Hunting" DVD.
Shawn Carlock has a reloading routine figured out that is simple and efficient. Focuses on what shows great improvement in magnum loads.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Another important "step" is to make sure you have consistant seating depths, within .001" from one round to another.
+1. Measure the snot out of everything. Consistency and uniformity are the goal. People have different methods and preferences, but measuring properly gives you the ability to change things and determine the effect on accuracy.

I think OAL is key, and I measure all of my reloads to the ogive with a bullet comparator. Then I use a competition seater to make them all exactly the same (seat slightly long, measure, re-seat exact). Understanding the distance of the bullet to the rifling is also critical, and hornady makes a pretty easy to use tool for this.

I am also pretty anal about headspace / shoulder bump consistency and I am a trickler - every shell has as an exact of a powder charge as I can measure.