Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Acrylic Primer Sealer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Acrylic Primer Sealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
How do you know this?
How have you measured it?
Do you think your primers & pockets are exactly the same as everyone else's?

You do realize that Aldon is not talking about 'backing out' to a point of falling out, or misfire, Right? He's talking about creeping over time to ANY point different than originally seated.

I suspect this occurs with any brass still 'alive'. It's fresh springback lessening with time. Neck tension does this as well, and so do headspace settings. It comes right back with a new sizing cycle. So where the hell did it go? I don't know..
It's subtle, and shooters so into precision to notice often do not, because they load what they shoot -just beforehand.
It's my contention that this is a good idea. If I were a competitor, I could not pull OLD ammo out of a safe and head to line with any confidence, no matter how standardized my processes. I would want to see every aspect of this combination working exactly as needed, and precisely duplicated, with validation of a sample of this duplication, just before needed use... If that makes sense..

But I'm a woodchuck hunter, and can afford to lay back alittle. I have way more time to prepare and validate that I am prepared. So months in advance, I seat primers with an extra 1thou crush, partial size necks an extra 50thou in length, and bump shoulders an extra 1thou, all based on logged settings. This ammo will NOT be used for 2months atleast. Then, a week before hunting, I validate my shooting system with samples of this ammo. It should be perfect.
I cannot drive 650mi, and have a mangy marmot go caddyshack on me, without immediate schooling that this human is different.

Anyway, sealing the primers might work to stop creeping. I don't know with the forces in play here. It would have to be tested specifically for this.
I have an idea, and again it may well out in left field. I'm see the problems with loaded brass about 99% of the time. I'm wondering if the powder is building up a gas inside the case, and with the bullet seating area being much greater square inches in area (refering to the grip), as well as the diameter; the easiest thing to move would be the primer. With gas pressure it's all pneumatics, and the smaller diameter will be easiest to move with less pressure needed.
gary
Old 01-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Gold Member

Thanks guys for the data driven discourse.

I do not shoot competition but would like my reloading efforts to allow me to generate ammo that will always be equal to the task that I and my equipment are capable of.

At this point I am still skilling up beyond the basics having spent a lot of time and resources trying to improve my skills.

I can not see how the sealer would be detrimental and on off chance it is helpful, I plan to try it. If it is gases, then I may want more neck tension than I currently have if I seal the Primer....

I tend to hold up during the winters coldest nastiest weather and tinker with reloading and rifles. So my loaded rounds may sit for 2-3 months before I head to the range. My hunting is primarily in the fall.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

When you insert a bullet into a primed case you may effectively pressurize the case as the bullet will act as a piston going in. I suspect it is complicated by the amount of powder and voids in the case and the tightness of the primer pocket.

I have noticed what I always presumed to be a poor job of seating primers on my part. It may well be that I actually backed them out in the bullet seating process.

An interesting thought has been presented that bears some observation.

The problem with the sealer is that it will add a layer of thickness to the brass head and may well transfer back onto the bolt face.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
When you insert a bullet into a primed case you may effectively pressurize the case as the bullet will act as a piston going in. I suspect it is complicated by the amount of powder and voids in the case and the tightness of the primer pocket.

I have noticed what I always presumed to be a poor job of seating primers on my part. It may well be that I actually backed them out in the bullet seating process.

An interesting thought has been presented that bears some observation.

The problem with the sealer is that it will add a layer of thickness to the brass head and may well transfer back onto the bolt face.
I wonder if you could seal the primers with a very light coating of shellac? The stuff goes on very thin.
gary