Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Ackley Improved Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ackley Improved Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
Buy the AI dies. I did!
I've tried.....You won't sell them to me now. You decided to keep them and keep loading and forming for the .25-06 AI.....Remember?

Seriously, whenever you decide you get tired of forming and want to go .257 Wby, or something else, please let me know. I'll still buy all the brass and dies for the agreed-upon price we had before. Just please make sure it's after this month....This month hasn't been a good one. I've bought too many things I shouldn't have instead of saving my money. LOL

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Hate to revive an old thread, but this one piqued my curiosity, as I am building a .25-06 AI...

I read on page 1 that someone said you can buy standard .25-06 Rem neck-sizer dies, and just use them for your .25-06 AI once you've fireformed your brass into the AI chamber. Is this correct, or will I have to buy a $150 worth of dies?

It would make sense, because the .25-06 Rem, and the .25-06 Rem 40* Ackley Improved both have the same neck dimensions, b/c that's how PO Ackley designed it.

If so, that saved me about $120 towards buying new Norma brass...

Please can someone either confirm or deny that I can use standard RCBS Neck-Sizer .25-06 Remington dies for loading for my .25-06 Ackley Improved?
I could be wrong, but I don't believe the improved shoulder will fit up inside a standard dimension die far enough to size the necks. The picture on page 1 of this thread illustrates that, at least it does in my mind.?

I've got 1/2 dozen Ackley rifles, if I were near the loading room I would try to see if the improved case will fit in a standard die...........But I am pretty sure it doesn't without swedging down the recently blown out shoulder. Let me know if you find out otherwise.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't believe the improved shoulder will fit up inside a standard dimension die far enough to size the necks. The picture on page 1 of this thread illustrates that, at least it does in my mind.?

I've got 1/2 dozen Ackley rifles, if I were near the loading room I would try to see if the improved case will fit in a standard die...........But I am pretty sure it doesn't without swedging down the recently blown out shoulder. Let me know if you find out otherwise.
I'll be watching the thread for your response, as I have no current Ackley calibers to test this for myself, or else I would have already given it a go. Reason I ask is that I'm in the middle of a build. All that's left is the funds for smith work...Then she will be completed! At that time I will need to have brass and dies readily available, as I have all the other major components on my bench.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

The sizing die is the real issue for the fellow wanting to do a 25-06 Ackley improved chamber. But you have more than one option:

* you can order in a custom set of dies from Redding, Forster, or Lee, and be at their mercy for delivery.

* you can send thre to five once fired cases to Linwood Harrell, or Neil Jones (quite possible you best bet)

* you could also buy a Newlon die blank, and have your gunsmith chamber it, but you'll then need to have it hardened. I'm not all that sure about the hardening process for 12L*** series steels, so I won't go there. He also sells a stainless steel blank. Or you can cut a die from a piece of 4150 pretreat steel and simply nitride harden it (this is your best bet in my opinion). You'll see very little shrinkage, and if done right the finish will simply need a fine polish. The nitride process is very simple, and very hard.

The seater is easy. Just buy a 25-06 Forster seater, and run the chamber reamer thru it. Or better yet use the .257AI seater die spool ( they will sell you individual die parts). That's a lot cheaper than buy a generic seater in a semi custom die set.

Now for the three to five once fired cases, that part is also easy. If the chamber is cut right, all you need to do is to run some factory loads thru the rifle. Use round with heavy bullets (like 117 grain), or load your own. If you do the load your own process, try jamming the bullets into the lands a couple thousandths. I like others here, like to fire form with good stiff loads of fairly fast burning powder that develops a good amount of chamber pressure. Try 48 grains of AA4350, or even 49 grains. Their 4350 is slightly faster than the other 4350's, and will develop about 62K psi. Chambering a new 25-06 case, you should feel a slight resistance at the very bottom the bolt closing stroke.
This assures you that the case body is locked in place solidly. The bullet into the rifling just increases chamber pressure, and further helps with alignment of the loaded round in the chamber. I would expect about .035" of case shrinkage after forming. But it might be as high as .045" because your moving a lot of metal in there.

The 25-06 improved is one of the easier rounds to form. Try something like a 30 Meyer!
gary
Old 10-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've tried.....You won't sell them to me now. You decided to keep them and keep loading and forming for the .25-06 AI.....Remember?

Seriously, whenever you decide you get tired of forming and want to go .257 Wby, or something else, please let me know. I'll still buy all the brass and dies for the agreed-upon price we had before. Just please make sure it's after this month....This month hasn't been a good one. I've bought too many things I shouldn't have instead of saving my money. LOL
When I can find a smith to rebarrel my action and chamber and throat it like it should be I'll get rid of all my 25-06AI stuff. My usual smith wonr throat the chamber out far enough ( as described and prescribed) for a 257 Weatherby
and Im not taking the chance of lowing one up on the first shot.

Had I known then what I know now....Id have gone with a straight 25-06
Old 10-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'll be watching the thread for your response, as I have no current Ackley calibers to test this for myself, or else I would have already given it a go. Reason I ask is that I'm in the middle of a build. All that's left is the funds for smith work...Then she will be completed! At that time I will need to have brass and dies readily available, as I have all the other major components on my bench.
MudRunner,

I tried two varieties of AI cases in the standard case neck die. I tried a 22-250AI and an AI 6X47 Lapua. Here's the confusing part: My 22 caliber neck die is a 22PPC......It didn't appear to alter the Ackley shoulder. The standard 6X47 Lapua neck die did definitely alter the Ackley shoulder.

My hypothesis would be: the PPC shoulder is as big or bigger than the 22-250AI and therefore it didn't swedge it down. The AI 6X47 Lapua shoulder got swedged down inside the standard 6X47 Lapua neck die.

Your solution might be to aquire a 25-284 neck die, beings the 284 shoulder is larger than the 25-06 shoulder. You could perhaps also get a 6.5-284 or 6-284 bushing neck die and use the appropriate 25 caliber bushing. With any luck that might work in a pinch.........I don't really know for sure, but it seems like it would work temporarily.??

Hope that sheds some light on your question.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member

I wonder if you could find a 280 AI bushing die in stock somewhere and use a 25cal bushing, the other dimentions should be close. Maybe?

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"