Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

accurate reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-27-2008, 03:36 AM
Silver Member
Originally Posted by milanuk View Post
...and sacrificing the occasional virgin chicken under a blood moon helps too. ;)

Seriously, though... most of the things that woods mentioned are worth considering, but if you look closely, most of them are one-time events. You're only going to weight sort, turn necks, uniform the primer pocket, debur the flash hole, etc. one time, and if you're smart, you'll keep your stuff sorted. Some of the other ones such as weighing bullets, brushing the insides of case necks, etc. are every time occurences (if you do such things).

The book mentioned above, Glen Zediker's "Handloading for Competition: Making the Target Bigger" is a good read on the subject. Note: note everybody likes his very... conversational or chatty tone that comes up frequently in the book. Personally I think it lightens up an admittedly dry subject. At any rate, the information within the covers is still good stuff.

+1 one thing I would add to Wood's list, start with quality brass lapua or norma.

Switching to quality brass, trimming all cases to same length, uniforming the primer pockets, reaming inside and out of the flash hole, vld chamfering. This has improved my groups by 1/4" at one hundred yards and given me lower E.S. and S.D. over the crono.

I tried weight sorting brass and bullets but dont any more as I must not shoot well enough or far enough to see the results on paper. Now I will go though all new brass and weigh, then a cull out any that are alot different than the rest.

I am a chaser of concentricity, and neck thickness. The closer to zero the needle stays, the more accurate/tighter the group will be.