Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Accuracy Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Bronze Member

Accuracy Question

I am hoping you guys can help me with this. I shot a 4 shot 1" group today out of my 7RM with 62 grains of IMR4831 pushing a Berger VLD 168gr. bullet. So I pushed it out to 500 yards and shot very erradic like about 12" group.
Theoretically, if a gun shoots MOA at 100 shouldn't you expect that (barring shooter's error) that gunn with the same load would shot 1 MOA at all distances? Or can a bullet loose it's accuracy as the distance increases?
Also, with this same set up I had shot a 5.5" group at 700 yards right after I first bought this gun used. Someone told me I should clean it good, so I used Birchwood Casey's Foaming Bore Scrubber. I haven't been able to get it to shoot tight groups since. Before I was shooting 1/2" groups at 100 yards.
Any suggestions? Should I just chalk it up to shooter's error and keep practicing (I was using a bench rest), or should I try to modify something in my load, bullet selection, COAL?
Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Accuracy Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_unzicker View Post
I am hoping you guys can help me with this. I shot a 4 shot 1" group today out of my 7RM with 62 grains of IMR4831 pushing a Berger VLD 168gr. bullet. So I pushed it out to 500 yards and shot very erradic like about 12" group.
Theoretically, if a gun shoots MOA at 100 shouldn't you expect that (barring shooter's error) that gunn with the same load would shot 1 MOA at all distances? Or can a bullet loose it's accuracy as the distance increases?
Also, with this same set up I had shot a 5.5" group at 700 yards right after I first bought this gun used. Someone told me I should clean it good, so I used Birchwood Casey's Foaming Bore Scrubber. I haven't been able to get it to shoot tight groups since. Before I was shooting 1/2" groups at 100 yards.
Any suggestions? Should I just chalk it up to shooter's error and keep practicing (I was using a bench rest), or should I try to modify something in my load, bullet selection, COAL?
There are a whole lot of variables mentioned here! The 1" moa to approx. 2 1/2" moa at 500 was probably shooter error (quite possibly wind). As far as loosing accuracy after cleaning goes, if that really is the case, it wouldn't be unusual. This is especially true if the rifle was on its down hill run accuracy wise. Sometimes a dirty shot out barrel will group a lot better than a clean one. How many rounds have been fired through it? Another possibility is damage from the cleaning process itself, especially if it involved the muzzle (crown) I'm not saying you did that, but it happens....Hope you get it figured out....Rich
Old 01-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks, Rich. I am concerned that I may have damaged the rifle during my cleaning process. I don't know hold old the rifle is, but it is in very good condition as far as how it looks both outside and also inside the barrel. How does someone damage their crown? what things can go wrong in the cleaning process?
My cleaning process involved using the bore scrubber and letting it sit for an hour and then scrubbing with a wire brush. and then using a patch until the patches came out clean.
Also, when I shot at 500 yards there was a slight wind, about five mph, but it was nearly head on.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

Did you check to see if youre bullets are "key holeing"? If so youre twist isnt fast enough for those bullets. I would be surprised if they werent stabilizing but just checking.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Bronze Member

I did notice that occasionally some of my hole tears in the paper were not perfectly round. Is that what you mean by keyholing? I shoot a factory Rem 700, but don't know exactly what the twist rate is.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I did notice that occasionally some of my hole tears in the paper were not perfectly round. Is that what you mean by keyholing? I shoot a factory Rem 700, but don't know exactly what the twist rate is.
I really don't think that twist rate would be a problem for 168g. Now, if you were shooting 180g, then I would say that you might be a little slow (twist wise) from a factory tube. When I ordered my McGowan barrel I was asked what weight bullet I was going to be shooting through my 7MMRM and I told them 168-180s and they said a 1:9 twist would be fine. Having said all that, I don't know what gun you have, but I am pretty sure that you wouldn't have a twist problem stabilizing 168s.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I really don't think that twist rate would be a problem for 168g. Now, if you were shooting 180g, then I would say that you might be a little slow (twist wise) from a factory tube.