Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Accubonds or Berger VLD's ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Accubonds or Berger VLD's ???

I've used both in my .270 wsm, 140 gr for each accubond and VLD, they both work tremendously well, although with my experience the VLD has put down the most game a lot faster. The Doe I shot last year with the accubond died, but not before running about 80 yards. The blood trail was something else though...a blind guy could have followed it! I find with the VLD's the shock experienced by the target is too much to handle and they fall on the spot

In my opinion, I'd use the accubonds for closer shots and the VLD's for those longer ranged critters.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekiller82 View Post
In my opinion, I'd use the accubonds for closer shots and the VLD's for those longer ranged critters.
I thought that if the VLD are going too fast upon impact, it is much more likely to do a complete passthrough. (over 2700fps upon impact with the 7mm 168VLD)
Old 07-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Silver Member

VLD's work at any velocity. They penetrate 3-4" and then shred is the best way to describe it. Pass throughs are usually solids or heavy jacketed match bullets.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodore View Post
I thought that if the VLD are going too fast upon impact, it is much more likely to do a complete passthrough. (over 2700fps upon impact with the 7mm 168VLD)
Depends on where the animal is hit, if it's a double lung, yes you will get a passthrough if you are, and this is just an estimation, within 350 yards...give or take 50 yards. If it's a shoulder shot anywhere from, in my experience, 35 yards and out, it's a dead animal, but there's a lot of blood shot meat.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Silver Member

On deer, which is my only experience with either, at shorter ranges up to 200 yards both kill deer effectively, but the blood trail with the VLD is FAR better, meat damage if you shoulder shoot the deer is excessive. The Accubond seems like it would be best with larger game, blood trail in my experience is minimal but the bullet works and penetrates as designed, does a lot of internal damage, but I have not yet seen one drop dead where he stood with an accubond. they died within 50 yards but left no blood trail and the exit wound was small. Bergers leave MASSIVE exit wounds when they pass through and blood trails are more like highways. The four I have seen shot with a berger all passed through, 3 dropped and bled out completely where they fell, the last ran 50 yards and it was puzzling why. She had no heart and 1/2 of 1 lung, and a 6 inch ragged hole in the opposite side. If Elk hunting the Accubond would likely be my first choice until I see or hear first hand of a few clean kills on elk with a VLD.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Silver Member

I learned one thing yesterday. I loaded the AccuBonds and the VLD's and went to the range. The Lee factory crimp die needs to be reset between the AB's and the VLD"s. The jacket on the VLD's was alot thinner so the factory crimp that barely crimped the AB crimped the end of the case mouth flush with the side of the bullet. The excessive crimp opened up my group to 3/4" on the VLD's.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

No need to crimp!

Go with the VLDs. They won't letcha down at any distance, in my opinion.