Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Accubond vs. Berger 30 cal.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Silver Member

Accubond vs. Berger 30 cal.

I was discussing terminal ballistics in a 300 Jarrett or similiar rig with a chap recently . His experience was that the Bergers would frequently strike a target sideways (I assime tumbling) at long range. He really likes the Accubonds. I'm looking for bullets to use in long range hunting that have a high BC to shoot from a 300 Jarrett, a 7STW, and a .264 Win Mag. Being new to the long range sport I'm looking for any advice. Y'all sometimes use letter abbreviations with which I'm not familiar. Is there a table of these so us new guys can know what you are talking about?
Old 12-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Accubond vs. Berger 30 cal.

www.wildcatbullets.com Right now, this and a few of Sierra's offering in Matchking with a smattering of the Accubonds are what many folks are using on this site. Contact Richard directly. He's great to deal with. He's got alot that's not on the site.

ULD-ultra low drag
RBBT-rebated boattail

http://www.wildcatbullets.homestead.com/ for more info.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Silver Member

Be sure you are aware of the twist rate of your barrel's rifleing. Often tumbling is a result of an understabilized bullet, generally the longer bullets require a faster twist.
Good Shooting,
Dave
Old 12-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

It would be helpful to know how far you intend to shoot. Longrange means different things to different shooters.

Because you mentioned the Accubond bullet I will assume that you will be shooting game rather than just targets. The game animal you are in pursuit of will often rule a particular bullet in or out of consideration.

A little more info will get you lots of good advise from the guys who have been there and done that.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

I will be hunting elk and deer. I'll try to develop the skills to be able to shoot out to approx 1000 yards. I have already taken some instruction in long range where I shot out to 1300 yds (had approx 18" group in 15mph 10 to 11 o'clock wind). I think all my rifles have a 1 in 10 twist. I don't know what twist the other guy was shooting. I think he was shooting a Weatherby Accumark in 30/378 factory rifle with hand loads. I saw John Burns "Beyond Belief" video set where he tested Berger VLD match bullets in wet newspaper and cow bones. Wow! I was impressed. It made me rethink weight retention bullets for hunting. I have always been more concerned with terminal ballistics, when bullet meets hide. I appreciate your ideas and hope to get lots of input from many of you. Thanks.
Paul
Old 12-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Gold Member

I dont know about your .264, but I doubt your STW has a 1-10 twist.

Accubonds are really an amazing bullet. I switched to them this year and dropped two deer in their tracks. They grouped excellant at the range as well.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

I don't know about the twist on my STW. It was made up by George Fulmer in Calif a number of years ago. It has been sitting in my closet since the early '90s, unfired. We had a bad flood in South Georgia in 1994 that destroyed my loading equipment. I'm just now putting things back together so that I can load and shoot. I'm having to learn all over again. I'm excited about getting into long range shooting. We have clear cuts here in Georgia where a 1000 yd shot or more is the only way to get a deer sometimes. I also want to do some elk hunting in Montana in the Missouri brakes. I greatly appreciate all the info that y'all can give. Thank you!
Paul