Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Accubond or Swift Scirocco?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2005, 11:46 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Accubond or Swift Scirocco?

Yeah it was kinda crazy over there,and the guy was the moderator too with about 5000 plus posts!He told me it was silly to be punching holes in targets with magnums and that SMKs could not be used for hunting and I didnt even mention hunting whatsoever LOL,just that I wanted to know if my 300 wsm could handle 190 grn SMK alright,Owell to each his own I guess,Not a very friendly first time response to my first time post over there.Trust me I dont mind kind and helpful critisism.My old man has used nothing but 200 grn SMK's in his 300 win mag and 140 grn SMKs in his 264 win mag to slay more elk and moose and deer in 20 years or better than you can shake a stick at, believe it or not very effectively,hes 75 now and can still outshoot me.The man is an amazing shot.And eyes like an eagle.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:56 AM
Platinum Member

Any of the plastic-tipped bullets will serve you very well. Use the one that shoots the best in your rifel. BTW, good call not using a light bullet just because "you're only hunting antelope" because as you know the main enemy is the wind--so you want high BC's. The Scirroco (and I'm pretty sure the Hornadies as well but I haven't actually tested them) will have a BC a bit higher than the Accubond in the same weight. However, depending upon how your rifle likes that ogive profile accuracy may or may not be as good. Only one way to find out.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:48 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. Nice whitetails BTW Jon!!Looks like you had an awesome year of hunting.You must live in Eastern Washington? Anyways about what you said about the high amount of ojive in that scirocco bullet, its like 15%,and the bullets are very expensive.I know this might make most people cringe, but im thinking of going with and trying 190 grn SMKs,it doesnt take much to open up that huge hollow cavety in the nose of the SMK's,those speedgoats are a very skiddish animals as you know and when they spot you sometimes even at very long ranges are in the next county by the time you bring your rifle to bear on them!!And the fact that the Ranchers hat'em for there fence breaking capabilities, Flock shoot at them year around,so that doesnt help!!Anyways I dont think that Ive ever gotten any closer then about 300-400 yards for shots on them and thats trying to use terrain to my advantage.And not to mention the damn crosswind you encounter also.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

You can also consider the 175 MatchKing or the 178 A-Max. I have read that David Miller, one of the most successful Coues deer hunters in the west uses 168 Matchkings in his .300 Weatherby and he does that for the inherent accuracy and because they perform to his requirements. He also makes rifles that sell for about what a good used pickup would go for.

My hunting buddies and I have shot a truckload of deer and antelope with match bullets - at close range they may or may not bust up but so do Ballistic Tips and GameKings and others from our experience. Might be some lost meat but the critter is dead and that was the reason we pulled the trigger.

We have WSM and matchbullet shooters here - talk to Wyo about 175's in the WSM or Dave King about killing with a variety of match bullets on hundreds of kills during his dep deer culling. Chris Mathews builds rifles in 7WSM that win state championshiips (although his bride has to pull the trigger for him!!!). I was recently told by the developement engineer from Winchester that I have shot more .325 WSM ammo than anyone on the planet, over 1200 rounds to date - we know a little bit about short mags here too. We have guys from Alaska to Alabama here who share real info, not knee-jerk bulldroppings.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

I shot a Ca Black Bear with a 200 gr Accubond out of a 300RUM. I know for fact that bear hated that bullet. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 10:23 PM
Bronze Member

I just started loading up my .338 Win with Accubonds. I haven't any hunting experiences with them just yet, but I can state that their accuracy is someting else. My .338 consistently shoots under 3/8" 3 shot groups. Considering the bullet diameter, they're all touching.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member

This is the opposite of what I've understood to be the case. (Were you thinking of the A-frame--a very tough bonded bullet?) I've been told not to use Scirrocos beyond large deer sized game and I believe that was in a conversation with Swift executive Bill Hober. Might want to give him a call @ 785-754-3959 to double check though.

jmden

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl