Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Abrasive Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2006, 05:50 AM
Gold Member

Re: Abrasive Bullets

JD, how does firelapping a barrel make the internal dimensions tighter?
Old 11-28-2006, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

Under no circumstances should you firelap a custom barrel such as Hart, Lilja, Broughton etc.

firelapping only "laps" the high rough tooling marks to some extent out of a factory barrel. It will normally move the throat forward a little. I normally only use half the bullets in the larger grits and then try it. You can repeat with the other half the bullets IF necessary. Caution is the word.

Firelapping takes material out of the bore so no way it could tighten the bore up. Just the opposite.

Go to Dan Liljas website and look at his video of borescoping a factory barrel and a custom barrel. You will see why someone would firelap.

BH
Old 11-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Bronze Member

I have a Yugo Mauser with a 308 Adams and Bennet barrel with 120 rounds through it. I have a similar problem with fouling. The first 5 shots with any factory ammo will shoot .25 to .5 MOA (darn good for a 80 buck barrel) but groups quickly open upto 1.5 MOA unless I clean the barrel meticulously. A quick scrub at the range with some Shooters Choice, Barns 10 or Wipeout does not do it, I mean I have to go home and get down to some serious scrubbing to restore accuracy. After 5 shots, the inside of the barrel looks like a brand new penny. The fouling comes off the lands and the center of the grooves easily but its VERY hard to get the fouling out of the little corner where the lands meet the grooves. I'm quite sure, the fouling causes the accuracy to fall off so badly. I'd love to be able to shoot those tiny groups all day. Would you guys give this barrel Tubbs treatment?
Old 11-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Bronze Member

I have an A&B in 220 swift. Now this thing was great up to 1500 rounds. The barrel is on its way out.
so the way I understand it, if the barrel is shot out, how does removing more of the grooves and lands bring back some usable life?
It a guy was woried about throught wear, you just turn it back and re-ream the chamber.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

This one's easy. To put rifling in a bore, there are going to be rough edges and burrs. To get optimal accuracy, the burrs must be removed. This is done by lapping. Lapping by hand like what is done on a custom barrel is removing the burrs. Firelapping by using Tubbs is also removing burrs. It is two different methods used to achieve the same thing.

A custom barrel therefore, needs not be firelapped. A factory barrel that is firelapped needs not be hand lapped.

The two above sentences of course apply to fresh barrels. When either get worn to the point they quit shooting and take forever to clean, both can benefit greatly from firelapping with Tubb's.

I have (to date) run Tubb's down two custom barrels that were showing bad throat wear and accuracy and ease of cleaning came back tenfold.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:37 PM
Bronze Member

I think you nailed it. "GOODGROUPER"
thanks for the info