Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Abrasive Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Bronze Member

Abrasive Bullets

I think that this fits this catagory.
Any thoughts on the abrasive bullets out there? How do they condition a berral for better accuracey? I would like to hear some success storys and nightmares before I launch one out. How hot do you load these things?
Old 11-27-2006, 06:45 PM
Silver Member

Re: Abrasive Bullets

They do work, but only to a certain extent. The one barrel I've used them on is on an 1903-A3 with the original 2-groove barrel, a very rough barrel. The biggest concern I had was with fouling, after 4-5 shots the accuray goes south. After having run the 50 final finish bullets through the barrel, the accuracy has slightly improved (by going from a 1.5" group to about 1" group) Ya Ya I know thats 33 percent (not exactly slightly) but I have a feeling It has more to do with the fouling than anything else. So far I have put through about 20 rounds without cleaning and no noticable amount of fouling, accuracy hasn't fallen off yet.

One thing you might be concerned with is, how far it might push the throat forward, in my case it didn't at all, but then again my barrels rifling takes up about 60 percent of the surface area of the bore. If laid out flat the lands would probably be about .25-.3" wide, and the groves about .1875" wide. Hell it's a battle rifle, meant to be fired continuously for extended periods of time, I have personaly fired 60 rounds through it in less than an hour, there's not much that's gonna hurt this barrel. It was made for abuse.

As for how hot to load them. Not very! The instructions tell you to pick the fastest powder you have for the cartridge and load the lightest load listed in your reloading manual for it.

Over all, I think that they only allowed the full accuracy potential of the barrel to show through a little longer. When it finaly does start fouling accuracy will go south again.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:01 PM
Bronze Member

So are they for trying to bring back accuracy or would you use them for lets just say, A BRAND NEW HART BREAK IN?
Old 11-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

If put an abrasive anything bullets or cleaning material in a Hart barrel your stuck with it if it doesen't shoot.

the Tubb Final finish kit works weel for what it was desgined for which was improving factory barrels. By shooting a series of progressivly finer coated bullets the barrels internal dimentions get tighter and it gets smoothed out some so it fouls less..

I woulden;t recomend it for much other than a factory barrel that fouls bad.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

i personally wouldn't use them in a brand new hart. thats just my opinion though.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Bronze Member

COOL GUYS, JUST WASNT SURE WHAT IT WAS INTENDED FOR. SO I STARTED THIS POST AND THINK ITS OK TO AMEND MY QUESTION WITH OUT ANY GRIEF FOR POOR MANNERS.

I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR BREAK IN METHODS.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:13 PM
Gold Member

The tubbs kits work great for a factory barrel , the Nicco is a disaster and a custom Hart need's neither.just depends on your needs.