Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Above Max COAL to hit lands

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 01:52 AM
Bronze Member

Above Max COAL to hit lands

Hello,
I am new to this forum, and this is my first post. I hope you guys can help me.
I am reloading for a Rem 700 7RM using the 168 VLD Bergers and I am trying to find the right COAL before I tweek too much with different charges. I ran a bullet partially down the neck of the cartridge in my press and then I used the bolt in my gun to push the bullet up against the lands. I pulled the seated bullet out and took measurement 3.460". I know that the recommended max COAL for this cartridge is 3.290, so my question is, "Can I safely shoot at 3.460?" I would like to seat at the following depths and compare accuracy: 3.450; 3.400; 3.360; 3.330. What are your thoughts?
Thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:19 AM
Miller Outdoors

Re: Above Max COAL to hit lands

Take the measurement multiple times to ensure you have an accurate measurement. Then measure your mag - there's no use loading rounds that won't fit in your mag. Then, if you still have a long measurement load up your rounds to whatever it need be, just keep an eye on pressure signs like a sticky bolt handle and flattening primers. It's not uncommon for a guy to not be able to seat them really close to the lands because they just won't fit in the mag.

If you have a chronograph use it and compare your velocity to the book's velocity for that load and you'll get an early idea on how much more you can safely push it.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:47 AM
Platinum Member

Miller has it right. But - Do Not seat bullets so long that they remain in the chamber when you remove a unfired round. You will disable the rifle; powder all over the place and bullet firmly in the lands. I seldom read the reloading manuals recommended COAL if my rifle has a magazine, because they must feed thru it. And get a Hornady comparator tool and start measuring OAL from the base to ogive. Much more accurate. Bullet dimensions vary considerably.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Silver Member

Before you get too far read 1-5: Hand loading for Long range 1: brass case prep - Sniper's Hide Forums

This guy is a match shooter, and this is his reloading manual. It all made great sense to me. I wouldn't worry about them fitting in your magazine, accuracy comes first. You can always go back to magazine length if you want/need to. COL is SAMMI guideline for rifle/ammo manufactures. COL is a starting point, or end point depending on how you look at it.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

In short COL will not work for this. Each bullet is or can be a different length. To do this correctly you will need to know the bearing surface measurement, sort the bullets then set the COL.

COL has nothing to do with when the bullet touches the lands.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks, guys.
I was a little surprised to find out that I can jam the lands and still fit the cartridge in my Rem 700 magazine with room to spare, so I was happy about that. I'm glad to know that I wouldn't be breaking a cardinal rule. I think I will start by loading various charges (starting low) seating the bullet about .005" from the lands. My undersanding is that this is about the distance that will put the most pressure on the load. Then I will shoot just to evaluate pressure signs. Then when I feel confident about the pressure at any given charge, I think I will work to adjust the COAL at that charge to find the sweet spot. Then using that COAL, I will go back and tweet the charge amounts to find the most accurate load.
Am I missing anything? Any other suggestions?
Thanks.
BTW - I did just get an Chrony F-1 for an early Christmas present, so I will put it to good use. I am hoping that my most accurate load will put me around 3000f/s, but we shall see--accuracy is most important.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyGP View Post
Before you get too far read 1-5: Hand loading for Long range 1: brass case prep - Sniper's Hide Forums

This guy is a match shooter, and this is his reloading manual. It all made great sense to me. I wouldn't worry about them fitting in your magazine, accuracy comes first. You can always go back to magazine length if you want/need to. COL is SAMMI guideline for rifle/ammo manufactures. COL is a starting point, or end point depending on how you look at it.

The link you provided was a great read....thanks!

Scott